PDA

View Full Version : Bass & panfish are going wild now

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Ponds, lakes and reservoirs are turning on now for warm water species.

Why waste your time going trout fishing unless maybe you are headed for a lake for trout.

I would guess tyhat 90% of our streams are high and cold.

Ed Wahl
04-30-2006, 05:47 AM
Took the tube up to a pond in the Spenceville Wildlife Area yesterday, Bass and Bluegill are coming on strong now.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Great Ed.

Heard about that area for years but have never been there.

I guess it is up by Camp Far West Reservoir?

Tell us more about getting in there?

Rick J
04-30-2006, 10:32 AM
I ventured out in Hidden Valley Lake (in our subdivision) a couple of weeks ago in my kayak - but no luck - still pretty cold then. Things are really heating up here - over 90 on our deck the last couple of days so expect it will turn on but I have no time as I have trips planned over the next two weeks - next week I head back to Kanasas to try for a turkey with my brother and a little bass fishing; week after that I head up to Maupin to fish some high desert lakes for a couple of days - suppose to be BIG trout!!! - bu my lake should still be hopping in mid-May!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2006, 10:39 AM
I think everyone here needs to get in a few days for these warm water fish. May is generally my favorite month for bass and panfish. It's not too cold and not too hot.

We have had a great report from Folsom Lake and from Cameron Park Pond so I imagine hundreds of warm water fisheries are getting very good now.

In the bigger reservoirs I guess we should be staying away from the larger tributaries that are flow high, dirty and cold. Get a map of the bigger reservoirs and try to find an area where the water is still and then it should be warming nicely now.

Ed Wahl
05-01-2006, 07:46 AM
The big pond at Spenceville is about a one mile walk from the parking area. Drive past the north rec area entrance at Camp Far West, you'll know you're going the right way if the road turns into a very large roller coaster, stay on that road a few miles, don't take the first turn, take the second turn at the big signpost. If you get to the shooting range you've gone too far. The road ends at a wide parking area and bridge across the creek. You walk from there across the bridge and to the left, the road turns rt at a gate with a smaller man gate at the side, go through the gate up the hill and through the oak grove. When you come out of the oaks there's a trail to the left, that takes you to the pond. I think the mile walk is the reason the fishing is good. There were a couple guys that showed up late in the afternoon walking the bank and wading wet with spinning gear, they kept 2 or 3 smallish bass. They didn't know about the bluegills and I kept my yap shut. :evil: