PDA

View Full Version : Lower Yuba River on 4/28, Friday

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Bob Giannoni and I went out yesterday with local lower Yuba River drift boat guide Keith Kaneko.

It was good when we started floating from the Hwy 20 Bridge down stream. Water was high but looked great.

Bob got 2 nice Rainbows nymphing with large black wets.

I caught 2 Rainbows while swinging an Olive Zonker on a light Spey rod with a sinktip.

Then mid-day the river started going up from 8,000cfs to 12,000. Lots of debris was floating down and the water went off color.

As soon as the river stabilizes it should get going again.

Tony Buzolich
04-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Bill,
I took a couple out this evening for a shot at stripers in the lower-lower Yuba and it was completely mud with tons of trees and debris coming down and actually carried out into the Feather making the entire area unfishable. The water at the Yuba City ramp has actually come up over two feet since yesterday.

Just when things were starting to get good :(
TONY

Chris Gearhart
04-30-2006, 09:23 AM
I was on the Yuba on Sat. 4/29. It was definetly big but I thought fishable. I didnt have my boat but it looked like it could be floated. I did see alot of large debris floating as well but color and clarity was good. Bill if you dont mind me asking, did you take out at Sycamore or the Gun Club and how difficult was it. Also any big changes in the river that could pose a risk?

Chris

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Right now you can't take out at Sycamore so you have to float from Hwy 20 to the gun club.

The river changed so much at Sycamore that there will be no take out there or put in this year.

I guess you have to buy a membership at the gun club to be able to take out there are Daguerre Dam.

This should really slow down the boat traffic this year on the lower Yuba River.

Chris Gearhart
04-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the reply Bill. As luck would have it I am a member at the gun club. I have not floated the river, or seen the gun club since before Christmas. So was the take out difficult and were there any new obstacles that posed any really danger ?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2006, 06:42 PM
It was not too bad but it could change with different flows.

I think it will be really good as soon as the flows start to go down.

bigtj
05-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Bill,

What about a cataraft? I have carried mine for nearly a half mile. I assume you mean you just can't take out at Sycamore with a drift boat.

I can't think of anything that can stop me from dumping or taking out my cataraft, short of really heavy brush.

Thanks,

-John