PDA

View Full Version : Ono season

mems
04-26-2006, 01:42 AM
Aloha, it is April in Hawaii and it is ono season. Last sunday we got a 40lb ono trolling. Two weeks before that it was a 75lb one. They are a great fish, but tough to get on the fly unless you have a follower on the trolling gear. If you find debris, then they are easier to target. How do you guys like to eat ono? Tonight it was blackened. It makes great ceviche and wonderful sashimi. Just thought I would throw the idea out there and get Darian going. Take care, Mems.

Darian
04-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Hey Don,.... Good to hear from you. Not sure I recall what an Ono is (Yellowfin or Dorado??) but I imagine it's a "tunoid" :roll: type fish. That always adds up to sashimi in a sort of salad with a very spicy dressing preceded by an appetizer of deep fried, bacon wrapped scallops , to me. :wink: :wink: Along with a chilled glass of premium Sake.... mmm, mmm!!!.... If I keep up eating that stuff, Im gonna be able to tell the temperature without a thermometer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mems
04-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Aloha Darian, ono is wahoo, and the word ono means sweet in Hawaiian. It is a white meat that steaks very nicely and takes on the flavor of various seasonings very well. The only concern is not to over cook the fish. Those scallops sound good. Last night it was blackened ono with bannanas foster for dessert. My boy thought that the blue flame was pretty cool. Take care, Mems.

Tony Buzolich
04-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Hi Don,

Ono any way is great, the best. And if I'm not mistaking the word ono also means the best of anything. In any case it's great no matter how you cook it. Just a little drawn garlic butter for me.

As for Ono on the fly, a lot of the long range party boats get into Ono on the fly. These boats often use chum to bring up yellow fin and Ono will tag along. The chum is often cut in half as the Ono rockets through the bait. He will then turn around and come back to pick up the pieces that didn't get cleavered on his first pass through. This is when the fly guys can take advantage of the falling scraps of chum. A fly looking like the chum is cast in amongst the scraps and are often picked up by the returning Ono.

Incredibly fast fish, and some of the best eating ever.

Aloha, TONY

Darian
04-26-2006, 08:43 PM
OK!!!.... White flesh, huh :?: :?: I'm changing my choice from the Sashimi Salad to Ceviche. Some Mexican Papaya with Lime Juice... Maybe a spicy Guacamole', tortilla chips and a Margarita :?: :?: For desert, a Tia Maria and Flan or Key Lime pie.... Hay, Chihuahuaaa!!! :D :D :D :D

PaulC
04-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Hey Guys,
This is a side topic I guess but since we're talking of hawaii fish on the fly.
Anyone have recommendations for a boat captain that caters to fly rodders in Kauai. Its been a few years since I've been out there, but at the time it didn't seem like there was one.
Might head out there later this summer and would love to go after some Mahi Mahi in addition to the usual beach/river suspects.
-Paul

mems
05-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi Paul, fly fishing here is still in its infancy. Kauai has a resevoir that allows you to fish for largemouth and peacock bass. They will take you flyfishing there. They had some problems with the recent floods, so check if they are still in operation. That is Wahita resevoir.
Off-shore, there are some captains that take tourists out. Check with them and tell them you would like to give flyfishing a try. Ask if they can accomodate you. I doubt they will run teasers and do bait and switch, but they can take you to a bouy and do some chumming so you can cast to who ever is there. If they will do that bring a 10-12 wt and have fun on ahi, aku and mahi. If you need more specific help then PM me. Hope this helps, Mems.