PDA

View Full Version : May Fly Swap

slage
04-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Proposing a Czech Nymph May fly swap.
Unlimited swappers, open until May 8th.
I would like everyone to tie 2 flies per sign-up, toe tags much appreciated.
Potential due date May 31st.
If everyone could verbalize a general color, I think we could get away from 20 green ones, although, don't want to limit.
Please PM me for address or further info.
Thanks.

Should be a great summer for experimenting with them, no split and drop a midge.

Hairstacker
04-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Well what the heck, I've never tied one of these, but I'm game. The flies do look awesome. I'll be tying up one olive and one tan, both with brown heads, and they will be caddis larva imitations.

I do have a question, though -- what plastic can be used for the backside? Will a sliced up Glad sandwich baggy work for these?

sculpin
04-26-2006, 10:42 AM
do have a question, though -- what plastic can be used for the backside? Will a sliced up Glad sandwich baggy work for these?

I have been using clear elastic used for swinsuits for clear backs ect. I bought it at a sewing shop.

This should be an interestig swap. I wish I had time to join in. I will be busy getting ready for Baja.

slage
04-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Great Hairstacker-

Before we get too far along here, let me clarify what I meant by two flies--
As opposed to 2 seperate flies per tier, like it looks you replied with, I meant each tier would supply each swapper with 2 of the SAME flies.
Like in your case, pick either the green or tan, then supply each person who signs up 2 of the same fly.
Make sense??
I thought it would be nice to have more than 1 fly, of each tyer, once we get to swapping.
If H.S. chooses to do a GREEN one, and ten people sign up, H.S. would have to turn in 20 flies???
okay

As far as the shell/ back/what-have-ya, I have used a Glad bag, etc. and they work fairly well. What really turned the corner for me with them was the discovery of "SILI SKIN."
Actually, I think that is the correct spelling. There are numerous products/ styles/ colors. I know the gang at the shop has them.
Experiment.
The only other thing I would say to shoot for would be massive amounts of weight. Tungsten head, lead wrapped body.

I actually have been killing the largemouth on them this spring.

J.R.
04-26-2006, 08:29 PM
I've been fly fishing for a while, and I know this may sound stupid, but what exactly is a Czech nymph. I have heard of them but have never seen one. Oh yeah, can anybody tell me the tying instructions for these nymphs.

sculpin
04-26-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm not up to speed on the Czech Nymphs but I do have a picture of some.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/Sculpin/czn_snorre.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/Sculpin/czn_snorre1.jpg

slage
04-26-2006, 11:45 PM
J.R.-
Basically two components make up the theme.
1. weight
2. skin/shelled/back casing

The ones Sculpin posted are really nice, I saw those earlier.

Add lead to the shank, tie in a 4'' length of 5x tippet well past the hook bend. Tie down Sili Skin, sandwhich bag, etc. to the point that 5x was taken to, again, go well past the bend in the hook.
Add dubing, pull the skin over the top of the body to the hook eye, and I make a couple of knots to hold the skin. At this point the 5x is still at the rear of the fly, wrap the 5x over and aroud, rib-like, up the body and tie off at eye with a couple more knots made with the thread, still holding the original skin tie-down.

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/czech/
This is a pretty good link that could probably help better than my babbling above.

Hairstacker
04-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys, really appreciate the technical advice!!

Uh, I guess I'll be tying up an olive one with a brown head.

Here's another picture of 224 of these things to illustrate the zillions of possible color combinations to further confuse those who can't decide on what color to pick :lol: :

www.czechnymphs.com/fly_index.html

I'll bet these things are just killer in pocket water, sure hope we get good participation. 8)

slage
04-27-2006, 10:52 AM
1. Hairstacker- olive/brown
2. slage-orange

StevenOjai
04-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Greetings, Slage

Jot me down for the Czech Nymph swap. Definitely, a great fly to be using in early season. How many actually use a three Czech Nymph rig?? I find it not worth my time to go beyond a two fly rig. Two's company...but three's a crowd.
Season opens for many of us this weekend. Going to Alper's Ranch to fish the Upper Owens on Tuesday. Looking forward to some great weather and good fish.
Cheers, Steve

slage
04-30-2006, 08:09 PM
1. Hairstacker- olive/brown
2. slage-orange
3.Steve-?

slage
05-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Closed.
Czech's really lit up the board?? :oops:

Hopfully in the future I can suggest a more popular swap.
1. Hairstacker- olive/ brown
2. Slage- orange
3. Steve O- pink

Hairstacker
05-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Over 370 views and only 3 sign-ups?!? :shock: What, you guys got something against Czech nymphs? Was it because it's a trout fly? The time of the year?

Darian
05-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Hey guys,.... I thought about it but then I snpped back to reality and.... I'm busy tying saltwater patterns for Baja next month and the mere thought of tying a bunch of nymphs which you'd then receive duplications of, in return, didn't interest me. I don't fish nymphs much, anymore anyway. No disrespect meant but it' kinda like trading ball bearings, all of the same size and made of the same metals. I like Mark's pictures of 'em tho.... 8) 8) 8)

sculpin
05-08-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm in the same situation as Darian . Tying for a Baja trip right now and wrapping things up so I can go. I use nymps a lot though and think the Czech Nymphs have some promise for Rogue Steelhead at the right time. I'll catch you guys with my lousy fly tying on the next one. It's a great deal for me I can trade lousy tying for good. :roll:

Mark

StevenOjai
05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Awwwww.......that hurts, Darian! :shock: Particularly since we're talking about nymphs, those sleek little things with some flashy underbodies.
Where else can you get away with using Pink and Chartruese, covered with latex and a little tail of fluffy Antron. Plus, these nymphs are obsessed with their weight and keep their girdles tight with wraps of mono.
Yes, the Brits have their silk-stocking Boobies but the Czechs have remained faithfull to their Nymphs. 8)

BTW, check out Gary Bulla's site for some Baja flies:
http://www.garybulla.com/
Have fun down there.
Steve

Darian
06-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Hey everybody,.... In the Summer issue of Fly Tyer magazine, there's an articleabout Caddis Larvae by Oliver Edwards that includes a descritption and instructions for tying Czech Nymphs. 8) 8)

Just thought I ought to show some respect after my last post under this topic :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hairstacker
06-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Got my flies today!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Not only did I get a GREAT selection of ties from Slage and Steve, who are both clearly accomplished tiers, but Slage was kind enough to throw in 4 extra flies and some hooks I was curious to try! Since we ended up agreeing to tie 4 apiece, I now have a very nice selection of Czech nymphs. 8) 8) 8)

Even though the category seemed to imply that the flies would all be virtually identical other than color, that is just not the case. Aside from color and size differences, some have beads and some don't, a variety of materials selected for the skin-back, various types of dubbing, various details emphasized, etc. . . . Frankly, the patterns included look no more similar to one another than many other fly swaps involving a common theme, such as "caddises" or "scuds." I really like the variety and ALL look like great fish catchers!

I'm really glad I signed up for this one, as it was a great learning experience tying up a new type of fly (for me). Thanks Slage and Steve for the great flies! A special thank you to Slage for the "extras" and for hosting, good job!!