PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid report...or what lake(?) is this?

Anne Vitale
04-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Well the wind it did blow. I fished Pyramid with some of the members of my club (GWWF) last weekend. Most of us got up there Friday afternoon and got a few at the North Nets before the weather started to change. We called it an early afternoon hoping for better weather in the morning.

However, the weather went from bad to worse over night but since we were up there to fish and not bake cookies we hit the North Nets again in the morning. That is when all Hell broke loose. The wind was blowing sand so hard we couldn’t even see the lake while standing in it. If you think I’m exaggerating, check out the photo I took of my friend Maureen. Believe it or not, she is fishing. It consistanltly would blow down my ladder, even though it was in 4 feet of water the minute I got off it to release a fish. Fortunately that happened often. We were bringing them in one after the other for as long as we were able to stand the sand storm.

They hit virtually everything we threw at them, color or shape didn’t matter. Most of the strikes came within 15 to 20 feet of the shore in 3 to 4 feet of water, a little bit deeper then where most folks were standing or had their ladder. The only reason I was using a ladder was to get out of the cold water, other wise it was only in the way.

The cutts were consistently big....23-28 inche and very fat. I was surprised at just how hard these bigger fish pull. Eventually the wind and the sand took its toll :giveup and we headed back to our trailer for the rest of the day. Sunday morning was a little better weather wise on the lake but looking back to the west it was clear that our attention should start to shift to getting back over Donner Pass before it was too late. Even though I left at 11:00 am, I didn’t make it. I got turned back at the Calif. State Line and ended up spending the night in Reno. Monday morning I woke up to 6 inches of snow and ice on my VW Van. The radio guy said it was 28 degrees. I waited for the snow to melt on the roads, so that I could get to a coffee shop where I spent a couple of hours before heading west on I-80. This time they let me through but only after I put on a set of tire chains. Although the going was slow, the trip over the mountains was relatively uneventful. All in all it was a memorable trip.

http://www.avitale.com/MoSandStorm.jpg[/img]

Darian
04-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Good to hear some places/things don't change.... The fishin's always best when the weather's at it's worst.... :lol: :lol:

Gald you caught a bunch of goodn's. :D :D :D