PDA

View Full Version : Bike Riding (nff)

Jay Murakoshi
04-18-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking about throwing my bike in the back of my truck and packing it to Sacramento this weekend. I'll be staying by the bike path at Howe Ave. How far does the bike path go up and down the river.
I need something to do when I get bored tying flies in the room all day.
Is the American still flowing at high levels.

Thanks

Jay

Larry Goodell
04-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Jay

I think the bike path runs from the town of Folsom to the Sacramento River, all along the American river. Do not know if the river has flooded any of it.

Larry Goodell ( see you saturday )

Terry Thomas
04-18-2006, 03:36 PM
The river is still very high, however, it will be dropping down to @13,000 cfs tomorrow. From where you are staying you can go up river all the way to Folsom if those young legs can take you that far. Down stream: you can go all the way to Old Sacramento. Be careful, there may be some mud on the trail in some of the low areas.
T.

Jay Murakoshi
04-18-2006, 04:01 PM
How many miles is Folsom from Howe Ave. Also, is it pretty much flat land or is there some inclines. I'm use to riding on an average 20 miles a day. Just finished a 15 mile bike ride. Had to enjoy the sunshine today. Tomorrow it's suppose to be in the 80's.
Looks like the bike will be coming along on the trip

Thanks

Jay

Mileage wise, how far is the shop from Howe and College Town dr. I'd be worried more about the traffic. Do the main streets have a bike lane

nightgoat
04-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi Jay,

The bike trail is 26 miles from Discovery Park to Nimbus. I think it's another 4 to Folsom. It's pretty much flat the whole way (no major climbs). The lower section has been flooded so I wouldn't recommend going that direction. I think the Howe access is around mile 8 (starting at Discovery). The best part is that it rarely goes far enough from the river that you can't see water. I personally wouldn't do the ride from Howe/College Town to the shop for traffic reasons (it's a few miles without any bike lane).

It should be a great weekend to be on the trail!

See you at the Expo...

Darian
04-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi Jay,.... The lower part of the bike trail (from Hwy 160 down to Discovery Park) is now submerged and will remain wet/muddy for several days, even when the water recedes....

Not sure about up from Howe Ave. There're some low spots along the trail where flooding could've occurred. The trail from Nimbus to folsom looks to be OK with the exception of the area around where Willow Creek enters Lake Natomas. The trail drops to the shoreline area, there and could, potentially, be flooded.

Hopefully, you should be able to ride between Howe Ave and Folsom but ight need to be on the lookout for wet spots. 8) 8) 8)

Jay Murakoshi
04-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks to everyone for the information

See ya on Saturday or maybe sooner

Jay