PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii report

mems
04-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Aloha, I got the chance to fish with fellow TFO rep Jake Jakespare from Walpole Mass. We went out two days in Kona. The seas were very calm and the weather was nice. On saturday we hit "C" bouy with Captain Russ Nitta of the Lepika. We were able to get some samll ahi, yellow fin tuna on baitfish and on spoon flies. I got a healthy aku, skip jack tuna, but the trigger fish showed up and made locating tuna difficult. We headed to a cargo net and found some very hungry ahi, and a pesky shark. After dealing with the shark, we were able to get the ahi in, but missed some mahi who came by the boat.
Sunday we went out and found some aku at "VV" bouy, but had trouble getting them on the fly. I did get a number on spingear. It was a fun weekend and we got to test out some of the new TFO equipment. Sunday our skipper was Ed Barnett who owns Pacific Rim Tackle at the harbor. He now has several TFO rods and reels in stock. If you are ever in need in Hawaii for equipment please stop buy and let him know what you are after. It is great to have someone supporting the fly fishing over here.
It was a fun weekend with lots of action. Hope everyone had a nice Easter also, Mems.