PDA

View Full Version : Fine Day at Folsom Lake! NFF

MSP
04-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Well I know this isn't a flyfishing report but now days I figure any kind of report would be OK. Fished Folsom from the bank today. Started around 9:00 and quit at 2:30. Unbelievable day! Got 20+ fish to hand and should have had 35+. Little rusty with the hook set ](*,) . Got all the fish off of Dolan's Point using Senko's rigged Texas style. (That should make Jason happy :D) Just a large pod of fish staging for the spawn sitting on a rock ledge that extended towards the dam. 3 Smallies, 1 Largemouth and the rest spotties. Nothing large, ranging from 1 1/2# to 3#. Beautiful day and had the whole place to myself. Threw the flyrod for a while with a sink tip but couldn't keep the fly out of the rocks. Should have put on my floater but I didn't. The only problem with getting a lot of Bass is the raw thumb from taking out the hooks :-({|= . Folsom seems to be fishing pretty good if you need to get out.

BTW: Can you float tube Folsom? If so I'll be back with the fly rod in hand next time! Hope I didn't offend anyone!

Katz
04-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Great Report!

Thanks for keeping the inspiration alive.

Katz

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-17-2006, 09:55 PM
I think May will be very good at many reservoirs and lakes for bass.

David Lee
04-18-2006, 07:23 AM
How deep were they holding , Mike ??

David :D

FishyMe
04-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Would you mind sharing where you are fishing?? im not familar with folsom at all..been to browns ravine once.. is the dam in the same direction????? i stop by it once..not sure if thats the dam...

im taking my fly rod tomorrow..going to try a wolly bugger and a clouser minnow... any other fly recommendations???

thank you

Hairstacker
04-18-2006, 09:00 AM
The man got a raw thumb from unhooking too many fish. Yep, not much symphathy here. :lol:

FishyMe, I think a size 6 olive woolly bugger and a size 2, 3-4" long chartreuse/white flashtail Clouser is what I would start with. . . . Would be helpful to know, though, how deep Mike was fishing and where in the column the fish were hitting the Senko. That Senko sure is a nice lure for cold water conditions, as you can fish it so slow and the fish don't really have to chase it.

SullyTM
04-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Hey Mike...Fishin' is fishin'. Nothing wrong with using a spin unit IMO.

Do you have fun? Nuff said!

Later...Thom

FishyMe
04-18-2006, 09:12 AM
all i have right now is a floating line... if i can catch one bass on my fly rod.. it will make my day!

MSP
04-18-2006, 09:38 PM
I was fishing Doton's point not Dolan's, sorry about that. You can access it from the Granite Bay entrance. A floating line should work fine, you can work your flys a little slower without snagging up on all the rocks out there. The fish were in 8' to 10' of water is my best guess. Good luck Fishy!

Adam Grace
04-18-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm glad to hear that you got some fish Mike, keep it up. Chico pond fishing is just around the corner. We'll do it again, I'll call you.

MSP
04-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Sounds good Adam, I'll be sitting next to the phone waiting for it to ring :shock: