PDA

View Full Version : Wired Bodied Nymphs

Adam Grace
04-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Is anyone currently tying or has tied wire bodied nymphs?

A have been interested in this type of fly for a while now. These nymphs are heavy and sink faster than normal nymphs without all the extra split shot. These flies also look really cool. I don't think that they are the best fish catchers, but with some modifications they could be a more reliable type of fly.

Wire bodied (WB) nymphs are generally better in faster moving water when you need the fly to sink ASAP and be a little flahy to get the attention of the trout. The copper john and brassie are the two most popular WB nymphs that I can think of. Whithin the last couple of years there have been more and more WB nymphs commercially tied this makes me think that they are gaining more popularity than I thought.

What is your opinion on WB nymphs?

Below is a cool new WB nymph from Ken Morrish called the
WMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction) Stone

Photo curtesy of The Fly Shop
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/205fg.jpg

Darian
04-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Hey Adam,..... Wire body fliers have been around for a lengthy period of time. The first wire body flies I became aware of were the patterns used for Steelhead on the Klamath. One of the best was the Orange Steelheader by Fred Aranas, Grass Valley(?) and, I believe C. Jim Prey, Eureka, used coated wire for a body on one of his optic patterns.

Wire has changed over time. During the '40's/50's, many tiers used telephone wire (either cated or stripped). There was only copper, brass or sliver colors available over the counter. All of that has expanded to include various colors, materials (tungsten, stainless, etc.) and sizes available commercially.

This expansion has enabled a tier with imagination to produce all types of bodies in nypmhs as well as all other types of flies.

Also, I'm a believer in weighting the fly, not the leader.

Soooo, I guess you could say I'm a fan.... :D :D :D

Bob Scheidt
04-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I have had alot of fun laying around with these wire bodied nymphs. I will have some to show at expo day :D I like wires of contrasting colors. On a 14 I use 2 brassie size wires. A 12 can use 1 med. and 1 brassie. Black and red, brown and amber are nice colors. Most of my stuff is prince style, biot tails, wire body, dubbed thorax (hareline peacock black dubbing), a wing case that's purdy, and some hackle. Usually a bead head, black or gold.
Oh heck, you guys can make fun of my stuff at expo day! :o
I fish them under a stimulator,
Bob

Adam Grace
04-14-2006, 01:06 AM
I meant that the use of wire has really taken off since Ultra Wire produced many different colors and sizes. Fun stuff!

It would be cool if you guys can post some pictures of you WB nymphs. I'm interested to see what creative fly patterns you guys have.

SullyTM
04-14-2006, 05:53 AM
Adam...Try applying some Dave's Flexament over the wire. It'll add to the overall look.... :D

Adam Grace
04-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the tip Thom. I'll give that a try.

I have been wanting to tie some more WB nymphs but school work has taken up the majority of my time. Maybe I'll crank out a couple before school today.

SullyTM
04-14-2006, 10:52 AM
When's the cap & gown party Adam? :D

I'm going to try a wire bodied stone with and without Dave's just to see if there is a difference...

Later.

Brad Blancett
04-14-2006, 07:06 PM
I had a bunch if wire left over from the Slot Car racing years and have been trying to burn it up for 20 + years ! some unique flies and great catch have evolved from that good old wire .

And to ad a Yes to the Head finish over the wire !

PaulC
04-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Another thing you might want to mess around with Adam is that
quick descent dubbing. Its another cool way to add in weight to your bugs to get em down quickly.
Stalcup had some pretty nice patterns using that stuff in his book.
I remember seeing some stonefly patterns at the FlyShop a year or two back using that as a dubbing substitute with a Tungsten bead.
-Paul