PDA

View Full Version : Delta Closed...???

Darian
04-11-2006, 01:59 PM
The Derpartment of Water Resorucres closed the Delta to recreational boating thru April 14th due to high water levels. The intent is to protect the levees against wake damage or overtopping.... :( :(

Looks like we're done fishing for a while.... :( :(

Hairstacker
04-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Once it opens back up, it's actually a very viable alternative to all of our blown out rivers, although the water temperatures are still low and the LMB's don't seem to be looking up quite yet. But if you know where to look, you can even today find Delta water with 2+ feet of visibility that looks relatively unaffected by all the rain. I know, because I was on some just this past Saturday and Sunday. :D Having said that, I also found a lot of muddy water before I found the good stuff. :? I think one of the keys is to search out the back end of dead-end sloughs away from any rivers bringing in dirty water. The gear guys have been catching LMB's this past week up to 10 lbs, with very good action for some and slow action for others (isn't that always the case?). I ended up with a few fish, including a nice fat 17"er. Anyway, another option.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2006, 10:19 AM
I think ponds, lakes, reservoirs and sloughs are going to be the deal for bass, panfish, stripers and trout for the next month.

Darian
04-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Hey Mike,.... If the tides come up, you could cast from the top of the levees to your favorite weed beds/tules. (....might even have to wear waders) :roll: :roll:

Hairstacker
04-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Darian, you're not kidding! The water level is indeed way up. Made it A LOT easier to launch the inflatable kayak from the side of a levee. 8)