PDA

View Full Version : Pyrmid Lake 4/10

andanb
04-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Had a good day at Pyrmid. Fished all day and landed 12 fish up to 28". One of those may not count...it was a Qui-oui(sp?). I had three fish over 25". The fish seemed to be running on the big side. Fishing was good until the sun came out and the wind completely stopped, at that point fishing just shut off. The picture is of the largest fish...Yes that is an 8 wt. rod.http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/andanb/DSCN0367.jpg

FishyMe
04-11-2006, 11:38 AM
WOW!! thats the second report i have seen about pyramid in about a week..seems like alot of fish!! and big too!!! are you fishing from shore? boat?? can a 5 wt handle it??? what types of flies? what type of line??

thaanks

Adam Grace
04-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Great fish buddy! That's a pig. Glad to hear that you had fun

Hairstacker
04-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Holy moly, man, that's a helluva fish!! Andanb, you obviously had a GREAT day!! 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-11-2006, 08:36 PM
March/April and maybe even May is the big deal up at Pyramid Lake out of Sparks, Nevada.

We use to go there from November through the winter but it seems like Spring is the best time for numbers.

andanb
04-12-2006, 09:09 AM
The problem with a 5 wt. isn't the ability for the rod to fight the fish it is a lake and the cold water allow the fish to revive easily. The difficulty is making long casts with sinking lines and heavy flies. However the times during the day when the fish move in close (clouds and wind) and long casts aren't such a premium a 5 wt. could work. When the fish move in close in the spring a lot of guys nymph under an indicator and there are lots of ladybugs on the surface. You can nymph with a smaller rod. But the pyrmid staple is a 7 or 8 wt. with a shooting head. I use a type VI but a III or IV will work at some or the more shallow beaches (like the Nets).

Darian
04-12-2006, 09:21 AM
One good thing at this time of year is that you can fish on the fore and back cast :lol: :lol: (....since the fish're in front and back of you!!)