PDA

View Full Version : Bass Flies

jbird
04-10-2006, 08:32 PM
I stumbled across this pattern last year the night before going bass fishing. It was the blind pig finding an acorn scenario. I though, bass love worms, (I think). Rabbit fur might move like a worm in the water. Hence this fly was born. The one on the bottom is the color I used last year with good results the couple times I went out. I have been combining some other colors. I am as far from a bass expert as you can get...any suggestions on this pattern?

The fly is aprox. 3 1/2" long, tied on a #2 tiemco bass hook. I made a weed guard with a very light guage wire I got at the hobbie store. This fly is incredibly weedless yet still sticks the fish really good. I took it to the expo ponds last year and pulled it thru the thickest weed beds I could find. With the cone head and the weed guard, it came thru the weeds like a greased pig.

Jay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC04154.jpg

Heres one of the fish that fell for it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01982.jpg

Hairstacker
04-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Jay, I think these look killer! I especially like that chartreuse one at the top, I'm going to have to tie a few up myself. May I ask what you're collaring these things with?

A LOT to be said for a bass fly that's truly weedless but still sticks fish well. Have only one suggestion -- get out there and fish 'em more often and post photos of the fish here for us all to drool over. :lol:

jbird
04-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Mike.

Thanks! The flies are 100% rabbit. The tail is zonker strip and the collar is palmered crosscut. You could litteraly tie 20 of these an hour, once the hook is rigged with the cone and weed guard...which takes about 1 minute. VERY easy.

Jay

Darian
04-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Hi Jay,.... Good looking patterns. Like Mike, I like the chartreuse colored fly. My suggestion would be to try all black or black with a chartruese collar.... 8) 8) I'm always partial to black as it usually produces under the wdest varierty of conditions/situations.... :D :D

jbird
08-02-2006, 08:58 PM
bump

Darian
08-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi Jay,.... You adding some more stuff about those flies :?: :?: :?: I've been busy developing a Shad pattern for Stripers, based on a Hollow Fly type. Not ready to make any claims yet, tho. 8) 8) 8)

Got any pictures of Bass caught this summer :?: :?: :?:

sculpin
08-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey Jay
This post makes me think I should throw the electric motor on the boat and we can hit the slough for bass tomorrow evening if the steelhead are stubborn. After all you do have a request for pictures. :D

Mark

jbird
08-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Hi Jay,.... You adding some more stuff about those flies

Darian. I was digging up the picture for Jerry. He was talking about ideas for subsurface bass in another thread.

Wow Mark! I'm gonna have to go look for the box with those bass flies.....messy garage...Here I come! :lol:

Jay

lee s.
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
The manager at the lake we fish up north LOVES bunny bugs like that for northerns. Simple, fast to concoct, and VERY effective. Exactly his criteria. :wink:
Wonder how L. Davis is doing? :roll:
....lee s.
PS - Good looking bugs.

Darian
08-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Hey Jerry,.... Have you read Tom Nixon's book on fly tying for bass :?: :?: If not look up, "Calcasieu Pigboat", a fly used throughout the south for Black Bass and may meet your criteria for a fly.... 8) 8) 8)

Flyjunkie
08-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Hey Jerry,.... Have you read Tom Nixon's book on fly tying for bass :?: :?: If not look up, "Calcasieu Pigboat", a fly used throughout the south for Black Bass and may meet your criteria for a fly.... 8) 8) 8)

DARIAN,

I Love The PIG BOAT!!!!! I've been carrying that "Thing" for Years... every since I acquired a Copy of Tom Nixon's Tome and read the Glowing reports of how effective the Pig Boat was....

I use it multiple ways..even vertically jig it on a 350 grain when the Bass are deep during the Winter..(I don't do that all the Time, but it is effective from time to time)..

Takes abit to tye all that Rubber hackle on for the Collar, but it is worth the Trouble... The PIG BOAT is a "Must carry" bass fly for me.... :wink:

DEAN~ 8) 8)

Darian
08-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey Dean,.... You're the only other person I've heard of using the Pig Boat in California 8) 8) Do you know any others :?: :?: Maybe we should start a Pig Boat fan club :?: :?:

Haven't used it in the delta, yet. It should fit in very well as a fall, winter, spring offering. Good idea on the vertical jigging 8) 8)

It is tricky tying on those rubber band hackles.Tought to find room for neat head and hook guard. :? :? :x

Grub67
08-04-2006, 02:35 PM
This winter I tyed a bunch of Pig Boats after seeing them in Fly Tyer magazine. I have used them on various ponds with good success.

Darian
08-04-2006, 03:08 PM
If I recall correctly, the Pig Boats featured in Fly Tyer were varition of the original tied by Tom Nixon.... This is illustrative of the adaptability/variability of the pattern. Weight may be added to the body thru lead wraps or as a conehead. The tail may be changed from rubber band legs to a twister tail or zonker strip, or a spinner blade on a swivel. Bodies may be hackled or un-hackled and the rubber band hackle may be tied in at the head facing forward or backward depending on the silhouette needed. Of course, colors abound. Silicone legs can be inter-changeable with the rubber legs.

All in all, a very good, versatile pattern from the past. :D :D

Flyjunkie
08-05-2006, 09:47 AM
DARIAN,

I've gotten a number of others to fish the "Pig Boat" and they've all come to realize it is a Very useful Bass pattern.. Other then the Methods and variations you list for the "Pig"... Try these:

Tye it on Light wire hook, or add no weight to the hook shank(I tye all my Pigs on Mustad 3366 ~ same as what Tom Nixon used for the Pig) and you can crawl that bad boy over and thru cover and actually work it like a Surface Bug..(Mono Weed Guard is a Must in this application)

For the Vertical Jiggin I wrap the Rear of the Hook Shank with .030 Wire..this will make the Fly "Tail Heavy" and it will fall bend first when you allow it to descend following a Vertical jig of the Rod.. as the Pig falls tail first the Rubber Hackle Collar vibrates very nicely and that's what them Bass key in on.... There's a Sunk Boat at Westlake (that's fortunately marked by a Buoy) where the Vertical Jiggin of a Pig Boat will always produce some Winter bass for me... I've pinned afew permanently onto the Boat, but it's Sooooooo Worth it.... :wink:

A "Pig Boat" Fan Club??? that's an Interesting Idea... :wink: :D

DEAN ~ 8) 8) 8)

Darian
08-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Dean,.... Good stuff!!! :D :D :D