View Full Version : Dorado Early Arrivals During Transition

bajafly
04-08-2006, 08:53 AM
REPORT #1005. “Below the Border” Saltwater Fly-Fishing reports since 1996
Endless Season Update 04/08/06
East Cape
http://www.bajafly.com/report/doradosf.jpg
Early arrival at the Shark Buoys
Too bad there were only a few visitors to enjoy the great fishing early this week. "Shooting fish in a barrel," was how one client described the fishing when I arrived here in East Cape last Friday afternoon. But then the north wind roared back in on Wednesday (4/5) leaving white caps and lumps in its wake.

Yesterday (4/6) the Matt Smith party of three from Indiana had a pretty decent beach trip despite the breezes. They nailed some croakers and a jack. Meanwhile, inshore fishing turned on nicely, with pargo, grouper and ladyfish hitting the decks.

Skippers are finding quality dorado under the shark buoys, striped marlin and sails outside, and, if you go far enough and are lucky, you might even find a few tuna to bend your stick. Inshore, skipjack and white bonito provided the best action. On the good days the beach yielded a few ladyfish, pompano and if you pay attention you might find few decent-sized jacks to sight cast to. If that is not enough, rumors of grande yellowtail in shallow water up towards Muertos Bay have some of the locals chomping at the bit. As the winter-to-spring transition continues, it appears to be shaping up to be an exciting springtime at East Cape.

As of last Sunday, all flights have been cancelled by Aero California and that has thrown Baja travel into a tailspin. Word is that the Mexican government yanked their license. Competition for the remaining flights on other carriers has driven the cost of tickets through the roof. Hopefully, there will be some resolution during the next few weeks.

Baja on the Fly

Water temperature 62-70
Air temperature 68-82
Humidity 60%
Wind: NW 8 mph
Conditions: Clear
Visibility 8 miles
Sunrise 7:04 a.m. MST
Sunset 7:37 p.m. MST

Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico
http://www.bajafly.com/images/stevefargo.jpg
Grouper can be a handful on a flyrod
I spent the early part of the week in Lopez Mateos and it could only be described as cold and windy. I don’t think I took off my sweatshirt once during the day. However, by Friday it warmed up and the wind quit blowing. Inside the bay there was a decent leopard grouper bite for some 10- to 20-pounders up above Lopez Mateos. Not much to talk about outside, but judging by the number of big tuna boats anchored in Santa Maria Bay on Thursday hiding from the weather, there must be a slug of tuna somewhere in the vicinity. The number of whales around San Carlos and the entrada is diminishing rapidly. Lastly, still a few firecracker yellows can be found under the bird schools at the entrada.

Water temperature 60 - 66
Air temperature 64-78
Humidity 99%
Wind: WNW 11 mph
Visibility 5 miles
Sunrise 7:11 a.m. MST
Sunset 7:46 p.m. MST
Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico
The blue water is still only a very short three mile ride, with water temperatures hitting 80°. The fleet is averaging about two sailfish a day, per boat. Adan, on the panga “Gitana II” did have a four sailfish release day for his clients. His brother Santiago, on the “Gitana,” fishing with Martin and Rachel Patrick, released two sailfish and a 170 pound blue marlin. Doug Leach, also fished a day with Santiago using the flyrod, hooking a couple, and releasing one sail, and a dorado.

The inshore action is still strong for the large jack crevalle and there are lots of black skipjacks.

Ed Kunze, Zihuatanejo

Water temperature 78 - 84
Air temperature 78 - 87
Humidity 83%
Wind WNW 6 mph
Visibility 8 miles
Sunrise 7:34 a.m. CST
Sunset 8:00 p.m. CST

San Jose, Guatemala
The record-breaking catches seen during March madness in Guatemala is over with new records set. There are enough stories to dominate Happy Hours wherever fishermen gather for sometime. April began with the fish being less concentrated as they spread out looking for bait. There was consistent action beginning at 20 miles for both sails and an occasional marlin in calm seas.

Water temperature 78 - 82
Air temperature 70- 84
Humidity 94%
Wind: N 4 mph
Visibility 6 miles
Sunrise 5:54 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:15 p.m. CST

J.R. Hubbard
04-09-2006, 05:34 PM
This is good news!!
I will be in Cabo next Friday for about 7 days. A friend of a friend is taking me out fishing, so hopefully there will still be a few by the time I get there!!

bajafly
04-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Hopefully it will hold. This was this afternoon at East Cape

http://www.bajafly.com/report/ecafternoon.jpg[/img]