PDA

View Full Version : Best water repellent spray?

WinterrunRon
04-03-2006, 05:06 PM
What's the best spray on water repellent for outer clothing that you've used? A couple of sprays I've tried on cordura type fabric doesn't seem to work at all. Thanks for the help.

Ron

Gregg
04-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Nikwax gets my vote. Most REI's should stock it, and I believe there is different formulas for different fabrics. Not terribly expensive either...

Matt Frey
04-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Just last week I used Nikwax to re-waterproof a jacket of mine and the jacket is now better than when I first bought it. I also have used the Nikwax "Tech-wash" to clean my waders. Nikwax does have different types depending on the fabric. I would check out their website first.

fineandfar
04-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Anyone ever use Scotch-Gard water repellent spray just on Regular Nylon or Cordura type fabrics?

will

WinterrunRon
04-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. Off to buy some Nikwax tomorrow. On a side note, I just bought my second pair of Hodgeman Wadelite Waders last week (love 'em for the price!) and I'm not sure what they use as a water repellent, but I'm several days in them now and they don't even get wet... the water just rolls off like a duck's back. Step out of the water after several hours and they haven't absorbed a drop! Who knows, maybe they use Nikwax...

David Lee
04-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Anyone ever use Scotch-Gard water repellent spray just on Regular Nylon or Cordura type fabrics?

will

Hi Will -

I use Scotchgaurd , though NOT as a 'waterproofer' , I use it to shed water and stains (yeah .... I'm messy) . Campdry will waterproof gear to a fair degree ......

HTH ,

David