PDA

View Full Version : New satire of SUV's

oonchie
04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
As fly fisher's we should care for our future and resources.

Here's a satirical look at the world of SUV's. It's from a home video contest sponsored by Chevy Tahoe. Something to think about when we buy that next car...

http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6056633.html

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-03-2006, 09:01 PM
We recently bought a year end 2005 Volvo S60 sedan that gets 30 mpg hwy so when we commute now we are getting great gas millage.

I was just looking at the new 2006 Toyota RAV4 that is a little bigger now and get 28 hwy with a 269hp V6, 5 spd auto trans and all wheel drive.

I think we all need to be looking at car that get better fuel economy.

J.R. Hubbard
04-04-2006, 07:39 AM
I work with cars, and they are all slowly coming around. There has always been the technology to make SUV's with better gas usage. We could get into the whole who, where, why and so on, but the reality is it's late...but it's coming!

Rick J
04-04-2006, 12:16 PM
I like it!! Makes you want to go out and buy a Hummer - during the last big gas crunch last fall I saw a guy pull out near my house in his Hummer pulling a huge ski boat!! Gas prices did not seem to matter much to him!

If they keep gas prices up for any lenght of time and I expect high costs are here to stay taht will light some fires under the auto manufacturers.

That being said I saw an article in Consumer Reports awhile back that buying a hybrid will likely not save you money but will help the environment by reducing gas consumption. The maintenance and upkeep on them is significantly more expensive than traditional vehicles so if you buy to save on money in the long run - likley that will not be the case!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Heh Rick,

Please tell the story about the time we drove to Montana when you had you old Ford "Bronco".

That was a gas eaten' machine......

Rick J
04-05-2006, 06:59 AM
Bill,
You mean the truck from hell that almost could not make it from Lovelock to Battle Mountain on a tank of gas!!! I have tried my best to block that from my memory.

This is the same truck that I got stuck in the middle of the Eel River trying to cross one time - heading up to Ice Box on the Eel where ther were some salmon holding - it had rained the night before and came up a bit - just enough as it turned out!! - half way across it bogged down and water started coming through the doors - Brett jumped into the back and frantically started putting his waders on - I opened my downstream side door and a bunch of my tapes floated out downstream. Needless to say I could not get triple A to come down and pull me out. Managed to find a friend who drove me back to a small town and I found a guy with an old 4 wheel that pulled me out for $40!!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-05-2006, 08:25 AM
"The good old days?"