PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at Catalina Island

speedymitch
04-02-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm headed to Catalina (Avalon) for a few days of fun with my family. Does anybody have a recommendation for decent surf and/or rock fishing on the island?

Any fly fishing opportunities with the charter boats?

TIA

Mitch

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-02-2006, 10:29 PM
I don't know but I have always wanted to do that myself.

Be sure to give us a report when you get back.

Maybe call or email Bob Marriott's fly shop in Fullerton, CA for some advice?

http://bobmarriotts.net/default.aspx

PaulC
04-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Hey Mitch,
I've heard of guys catching barred surf perch out there. I wouldn't be surprised if you got into some yellow fin croaker and/or corbina either.
Fishing from the beach use a fast sink integrating head or shooting head throwing clousers (olive or chartreuse over white), mole crab patterns (if the crab beds are there), and orange shrimp patterns.
From the rocks, you're probably better off with a intermediate line to avoid losing a head in the rocks. General baitfish patterns can be productive off of jettys, etc. Jiggys, clousers, even a banger are all good bets to try.
Charter boat wise....they may take your money but you'll find casting a fly rod in the midst of a bunch of conventional tackle challenging if not impossible. Maybe the guys at Marriotts have suggestions for fly only charters, but you most likely would need to charter the entire boat.
Hope that helps a bit with your research.
-Paul