PDA

View Full Version : Yakrod for big fish.

Rickey Noel Mitchell
04-02-2006, 09:30 AM
I've been casting from a kayak for a while now. Learning how to paddle and cast from a yak, properly I might add, has allowed me to fish salt water something I couldn't do in the other crafts I've tried. . I’ve caught a fair amount of large of fish ( mostly LM bass) in the 5 to 8 lb range, all mostly on my 9 wt, and it was just barely enough.
After fighting with about three feet of ling cod that bent my rod to where the tip top of was parallel with my handle, along with at least three double digit stripers (30 to 40 lbs) that also kicked my butt that I will admit to
(Read my story--yak bass on my articles page. That bass did what it did and it was only 7lbs.) I like to tie big flies and catch big fish. I also like to troll my flies I’m still not sure which is a better fish finder – trolling a flie or a Hummin Bird.
Getting drug a round by a big fish on opened water is one thing, getting pulled into a tree or heavy cover because your afraid to pull back for fear of your rod shattering is another. I like to work close to cover that can include bush and trees along a shoreline, grass beds, stumps, and now my personal favorite--kelp beds. I‘ve had Big Fish smash my fly just a few feet from my yak more than just a few times. I want more lifting power as well as casting power. I’m definitely thinking about a heavier weight rod. How much heavier I’m not sure yet. I hope to figure it out at the Expo on the 22.

High quality rods are light but strong, very important when casting and—paddling. I like to rig them up with 300-400 grain sink tip integrated line SA Streamer Express. This line is also and easy line to roll cast with or dab with, when your up close to cover. Dabbing will have new meaning when you do it from a kayak
. I have dreams of a really big fish or a hell of a sleigh ride.