PDA

View Full Version : Fly Lines

Adam Grace
03-30-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm curious about which fly line manufacturers you guys prefer. There are so many great lines to choose from now.

What type of fly line are you describing?...floating, sinking, sinktip, spey, running line, shooting head, multiple-tip.....

How slick is the line?
How durable is it?
Does it cast and turn over the fly well?
Does it kink/coil much? or does it lay out nice and easy w/o tangles?

What lines have you used before and what lines are you using now?

Let us know your opinions, I'm very curious.

Jasonh
03-30-2006, 02:09 PM
I cannot say that i have a favorite brand of fly line but i am a big fan of rio's windcutter for spey lines, Airflo's delta long spey, SA XLT and streamer express lines for stripers. Too many good ones out there now to choose from.

Jason Hartwick

bubzilla
03-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Rio really has some great innovations. And I love the fact they make so much more information available to the customer, in both their catalog and online, than the other companies, e.g., grain weights, taper construction, etc. I like their spey lines, lake lines, multi-tip lines, shooting heads, running lines, etc. They cast well, and more importantly they fish well. My only complaint is that they have some durability issues from time-to-time. I, and others I know, have had problems there. I had a couple lines blow up after pretty minimal use, and another person I know had one of their running lines, which was relatively new, break literally pulling line off the reel by hand.

I have S.A. lines that are as much as seven or eight years old and that have seen 50+ days a year that whole time. And, they make a lot of very good lines. They'd be a close second to Rio. If they'd make more information available and work more on the edge of innovation, they could be my favorite pretty easily. Rio is just kicking their butt in some areas, though.

Cortland and Airflo would probably tie for third. Both have a few really good lines, but overall their entire catalog of lines could use some work.

Bringing up the rear are Monic, Wulff, and the other companies I would consider more "novelty" in that they have basically one or two lines that are their bread and butter. Some of their other stuff seems more like a gimic or an attempt to stretch their one good idea than real innovation.

One thing is for sure. There are a lot of really cool lines available right now. That's awesome!

MSP
03-30-2006, 07:37 PM
I prefer the ones Adam gives me \:D/

Ben-doc
03-30-2006, 08:16 PM
I've only ever fished with SA and Cortland lines. Cortlands seemed to be a bit stiffer and harder to control, but made for better distance in the cast. SA lines seem nice and flexible...Of course, I can't attest to durability as I've only been fishing a couple years, and I only used the Cortland a couple of times.

David Lee
03-31-2006, 10:01 AM
This is my 'pet' touchy subject .......

The ONLY dry line I've ever used that actually floats (without tip-sinking) is the Rio Nymph line - I've had major issues about paying $50.00 to $75.00 for 'floating'lines that sink after a few days , or less . This problem has been so bad over the years that I almost always use a sinking line or shooting head for most of my fishing .

All of the names mentioned cast well , at least in my hands ....

David

Rick J
03-31-2006, 01:06 PM
For a floating line hands down it is the Wulff TT - I love this line from size 2 and its long front taper for delicate presenttaions to size 8 and 9 for it's awsome shooting capabilities and roll casting capabilities

Adam Grace
04-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow this poll has had more than 300 view but only 25 responses....

Why's that?

Thank you to the guys who responded.

Doesn't anyone else have an opinion about fly lines?

jbird
04-16-2006, 02:27 PM
The line I was most disapointed in, given the hype surrounding its quality, was the SA steelhead taper. It did everything I dont want a steelhead line to do.

a. It didnt float.....at all!

b. It was very prone to tangle.

c. It didnt rollcast or mend well.

I have since changed to rio and really like it.

Jay

Darian
04-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi Adam,.... In an attem;t to answer your question about the number of views vs responses, I'd say there'ere a lot more "lurkers" out there than responders. That's probably normal considering the fact that most people tend to "hang back" or see what the lay of the land is before partcipating. Sometimes there's just no interest in the particular subject area.... :? :?

Bob Scheidt
04-16-2006, 04:53 PM
I have a new SA Bass bug floating line. Haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to it. That AST coating has more than a few fans. I also have a SA floating "trout" line and it is great. Olive and a 6 wt.

I also like my RIO striper line. 26 foot of fast sink line and the rest is an intermediate. It casts well, no hinge effect. My pal says that RIO intermediate shooting line is awesome.

I have an Airflow "river and stream" line. It is a very high floating line and picks up nicely.

I am favoring Rio and SA for now, but I can be easily swayed.
Bob

Hairstacker
04-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey Adam, I just don't have a strong opinion on this one -- I like most of the brands you listed. Right now I have Scientific Anglers, Cortland, and Orvis lines on my reels. No slight on Rio, just don't have any. I tend to buy what's on sale. :oops:

Terry Thomas
04-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi Adam,
Rio really seems to be making a big push in their line develpment. This past week I fished their Rio Grand and Aqua Lux intermediate lines. With all the rain coming down I couldn't fish the floater as much as I would have liked. From what I experienced, RG casted well with no floating issues. I spent most of a day and a half fishing the Aqua Lux. I must say that I was very impressed. I have been fishing Courtland Camo and the old Airflo (slime line). Both have served me well over the years. However, both of these lines tended to hang up a little when shooting line. The Rio line casted quite well under the circumstances and seem to sink in a uniform manner. It's still early in the season (season?...rain season), let's compare notes again at the end on November.
Terry

Gregg Machel
04-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi Adam,.... In an attem;t to answer your question about the number of views vs responses, I'd say there'ere a lot more "lurkers" out there than responders. That's probably normal considering the fact that most people tend to "hang back" or see what the lay of the land is before partcipating.

Also, each time you come and visit, it registers as a view. This means that those that have voted/commented already and come back to take a look at the new posts register another view. Each of you have probably come in here to look at the new posts at least 4-5 times, if not more. It looks like a lot of people just look, but it may be less the case that it appears.

I also agree with Darian about the lurkers, and that's OK too, they will join the party when they are ready! :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Here is a bad fly shop joke:

Over the years I have had many customers who bought new floating lines that sank.

I have actually had customers buy new sinking lines that actually floated.

I thought I should get them together and have them just trade lines?????

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

Paul B.
04-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Cause I'm just lazy. :D I prefer sa gpx wf lines and the rio selective trout for dt line. If any one can recomend a sink tip for lighter rods - 4 and 5 wt I'd appreciate it. Thank you for the post Adam. PB

Adam Grace
04-17-2006, 08:21 AM
If you want a sinktip for trout fishing I recomend a line with a sinking tip about 15 feet for medium to larger rivers and streams. For smaller more intimate water try a line with a tip about 8-10 feet in length. Rio makes a nice 15' sinktip, S.A. makes a nce shorter 8-12' sinktip as well. Those are my two recomendations.

Me personally, I would choose the longer 15' Rio line. You can still use a 15' tipped line on smaller water, you just fish it a little differently.

One important factor is the type of rod that you're fishing. If it is slow/soft, meaning very flexible and lacking rigidity to easily pull sinking line out of the water fish a shorter tipped line. The shorter length will make the re-casting much easier. If your rod has sufficient "lifting" power use either of the two lines.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Paul B.
04-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Thank you, I'll probably stop by the shop for the sa line. Most of the rods I use are glass or cane. Quite slow by todays standards. PB

Tony Buzolich
04-19-2006, 06:29 AM
Geez Bill,

I thought I was the only one who had things like that happen :lol:

As far as lines go, there are a lot of great lines out there. For those of us that use shooting heads and integrated lines most often it is hard to compare when talking about the qualities of floating lines. And the same in reverse. Some folks who fish trout streams with 4w. and 5w. rods have never picked up a shooting head.

With all of that, it's hard to ask that broad of a question and get good information back.

I personally like the Mastery Series of S/A as an overall group of lines.
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Checking at the survey numbers it looks like it is Rio first and SA/Mastery second and then Airflow and Cortland are tied for a late third place right now.

Back in the '60s and '70s Cortland was really a big deal but as of late they haven't really come out with anything new and wonderful. Their "Clear Camo" is a very popular slow sinking lake line and their QD series is fairly popular for a 'Teeny type' extra fast sinking sinktip.

Rio has the most innovative lines with many specialty lines out there.

Airflow is actually competing with Airflow for specialty lines.

Airflow and Rio have nice welded loops but Cortland and SA are just thinking about it.