PDA

View Full Version : Old Hardy reel click and paw $100.00 ?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-29-2006, 11:03 PM
That is a great deal.

That is the same reel as a Hardy 'Marquis'. Hardy made the Scientific Angler 'System' fly reels back in the '70s in England . After they got too expensive to import SA gave it all up.

Then Hardy imported their version, the Marquis, into the US. I think they are well over $300 now if you can even get them.

Many classic steelheaders are looking for those old ratchet reels.

Would be great on a 7 or 8 weight steelhead rod.

We sold lots of them way back when they were the big deal.

David Lee
03-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Extra loud ...... I LOVE IT !!!

Classic Steelhead SCREECH , those things yeowl w/ a good fish on 'em .

David :lol:

JDHunterJR
04-10-2006, 09:01 AM
That is a great deal.

Hiya Bill, is there a SA reel that is identical to the lightweight series reels hardy makes?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-11-2006, 10:24 AM
There was a less expensive SA version about 30 years ago that were kind of like the Lightweight Hardy series but not as nice. I think it was the 130, 230,330? with no rim drag. Very basic reels.

The old Hardy made System reels were designed by SA and made for them by Hardy in England. Hardy sold them as the Marqui series in other countries too but after SA quit the entire program Hardy started importing them into the US.

You reel don't need or even want a powerful drag with Steelhead so many still like to use these 'click-n-pawl' reels.

The only problem I have seen with 'ratchet reels' for hot Steelhead is that they can more easily 'backlash' or 'over-spin' than a new disc drag reel and they are louder of coarse.

__________________________________________________ ________

Option rambling from an old person:

My first 'fly reel' was a $2.50 True Temper 'Finalist'. I actually used on a solid fiberglass spinning rod down at the William Land Park pond to catch carp when I was 8-12 years old. It was filled with that old stiff mono.

My first nice fly reel was a new Pflueger 'Medalist 1494' made in USA, that I bought at the Bel Air market in south Sacramento for $11.88 with money from my paper route.

Later I bought a Hardy Lightweight series 'Princess" ($37.50) which to this day is one of my favorite model and size fly reels. At one time I had 2 Princess frames and 7 spools and use it from 5 to 7 weight rods.