PDA

View Full Version : What kind of weight for nymphing?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-28-2006, 11:51 PM
I am taking a survey of the different kinds of weight everyone is using for putting on their leaders to get their nymphs down?

thanks

PS: Can you specific because it will influence what we stock in our store.

fineandfar
03-29-2006, 12:23 AM
I find the Dinsmore non-toxic egg weight to be my favorite. I reuse it by prying it off with the hook eye cleaner on my nippers.

will

sculpin
03-29-2006, 08:52 AM
For the Rogue in the winter I use a #4 - 4x long hook wrapped with .035 lead and add 1 to 3 BB split shot when needed. In the summer I use no shot and a smaller tool fly.

Mark

Darian
03-29-2006, 09:11 AM
I tend to weight flies rather than my leader. 8) 8) Don't like the pendulum affect of adding weight to the leader. :? However, like to use beads, eyes or coneheads and lead wire in tying flies. :) :)

I recognize it's not always possible to "get down" without using split shot or flat lead strips on the leader.... :? I have no preference between the two.... 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Darian,

My old fishing buddy Neil Hansen fishes that way too. He put the weight in the fly. I feels/looks a bit "classier" if that is a good description.

Neil also upstream nymph fishes with no indicator, just watches the end of his line.

If I use weight it is usually the Water Gremlin real lead that is reusable in BB and B.

MSP
03-29-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm with you Bill, I use the Water Gremlins myself. I found I was having to use 3 - 4 BB's quite often so I started using 3/0 shots most of the time. In fact I'm going to go give them a try right now.

bubzilla
03-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow, I misread your question, Bill. I just use standard removable shot in BB and 3/0 the most.

PatrickM
03-29-2006, 09:56 PM
I like the Dinsmuir non-toxic shot that comes in those little round dispensers, Bill. ABs are about the only size I use.