PDA

View Full Version : Raising whopping rainbows

Digger
03-26-2006, 10:38 PM
By Bruce Ajari
Sierra Sun March 23, 2006

In this day and age of super sizing, the idea of a super sized trout should not seem too far fetched. Indeed, Mt. Lassen Trout Farms has developed just such a fish. Rainbow trout in the 30-pound range hatched from eggs manipulated to produce fish with three sets of chromosomes instead of two.

I first saw an article in the Los Angeles Times last year about these fish. They coined the phrase “freakoid fishes.”

It is a pretty interesting story.

These fish have even caused a new category in the State Record Books for hatchery rainbow trout. The rationale is that it would have been unfair to count these fish in with the natural occurring rainbows that have been in the record books. Strange, it is a lot like baseball records and steroids.

These fish were developed at Mt. Lassen Trout Farms, which is a network of spring-fed hatcheries near Red Bluff. Fish that are pushing 30 pounds have been created.

The process of achieving triploid eggs is tricky. Thermo-shocking with hot water must occur precisely between the two-cell and four-cell stage of miotic cellular division, about 10 minutes after fertilization, which results in the fish retaining an extra set of chromosomes. The extra set renders that trout sterile, allowing them to conserve energy that would otherwise be spent on the development of sexual organs or mating. According to Phil Mackey, general manager of the Farms, it occurs fairly frequently in nature. They are just making it happen more frequently by manipulating the spawning cycle.

The use of triploid technology is just now becoming widespread as state fishery agencies seek guarantees against genetic contamination of wild stocks. Because triploid trout are sterile, they can share lakes and streams with wild brown trout or steelhead trout. And because they can continue to grow after diploid trout slow down to begin sexual development, at about two years, triploids are attractive as trophy fish.

Other private hatcheries have started to use the same techniques to get trout weighing over 20 pounds. In spite of the egg manipulating, the world record rainbow of 42 pounds and two ounces caught in 1970 off Bell Island, Alaska, is safe.

Raising trophy trout is apparently excellent business. A Southern California company has an exclusive agreement with Mt. Lassen to buy the biggest rainbows that they can produce. They paid nearly $800,000 to stock their waters with these trophy fish. About 5,000 to 10,000 customers pay $18 per day to fish the lakes. This generates at least $90,000 per day and more than $14,000,000 during a six-month trout season beginning in early November. This is an absolutely astounding figure. Fishing is big business!

The current state record for a hatchery rainbow trout is 28.33 pounds, caught in a private lake in Butte County on Jan. 3. The record has been set three times in about two years and will certainly fall again soon as these fish continue to get larger!

In case you are wondering, the largest rainbow caught in California not of hatchery origin was caught in Lake Natoma in Sacramento County and weighed 27 pounds. That fish was caught on Oct. 2, 2005. The largest steelhead rainbow (a rainbow trout that is reared in freshwater and goes out to the ocean and returns to freshwater to spawn) was a 27.4-pound specimen caught in the Smith River in Del Norte County on Dec. 22, 1976.

Because people have a fascination with big fish, we will continue to see fish raised to obtain even larger proportions. Purists certainly do not like the idea. But who can argue from a business standpoint?

Darian
03-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Interesting article; altho, I believe the agreement to supply these Trout to SoCal lakes was not exclusive. :? If I recall correctly, they were supplied to ParkWay Lakes in the San jose area, as well.... 8) 8) What a great economic incentive for fish propogation. 8) 8)

I wonder how long it'll take DFG to find out that, while these Trout may not compete with natives due to sterility, they still eat native Trout Parr (....probably large amounts of 'em. too). :( :(

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-26-2006, 11:11 PM
I think the CA DF&G needs to look at all this and figure out that the private water idea is working too.

I thought about the idea of taking a controlled stretch of trout stream and redesign it some with deeper holes and then put some bigger than normal planted fish, say even 16 inchers. Then make it catch and release so they are not all taken out the first week.

I thought they could do this with the Silver Fork of the American. It is a nice stream but pretty void of fish.

It would be like Pleasant Valley Creek or Goodrich Creek which are enhanced private water fisheries now.

slimfishin's
03-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Well honestly, tiploid trout via heat-shock is really not a new management technique. In fact, currently, hatchery managers - well fish pathologists and aquaculturists - are actively researching ways to replace heat-shock treatment to produce triploid, sterile fish. This is because heat shock doesn't produce triploid fish with 100% efficiency. Idaho Department of Fish and Game has been using triploid fish in their management of Henrys Lake for a long time now, producing triploid cutbows to prevent breeding with native cutthroat, but still providing all the benefits of hybrid fish.... ie, rapid growth, agressive behavior, spectacular fight. These techniques are currently in use in other states to manage specific fisheries. However, they are not appropriate for all circumstances. From a trout-farm perspective, they make very good sense for business.

SF

Jgoding
03-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Aren't there tetraploid trout out there??? I thought there were and then you could cross these fish since they are not sterile with regular diploid fish and produce sterile triploids that way. Much easier and 100% reliable... well, maybe not 100% but the theory is sound as it is used with plants and probably some experimental animals I would think.

Jeff

slimfishin's
03-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Your post got me thinking whether I understood the whole triploid thing right. The tetraploid/diploid cross may well indeed be a common way to produce the triploid sterile hybrids. I did a quick search of the Henry's Lake situation, and it turns out they are using the heat-shock method.

Here's a link that talks about the fishery;
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/fish/hatcheries/henrys_lake.cfm

Cheers,
SF

Jgoding
03-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey Slim,

Didn't mean to worry you. Yah, I mean if there are no tetraploid trout then you have to use another method or find fish with suitable mutations in gamete formation. But triploid fish grow faster etc.. and will get bigger due to the extra set of chromosomes. I think tetraploids are more adversely affected as they have too many chromosomes. Have to find the right balance.... but just to throw this out there, multi-ploidy isn't necessarily a bad thing.... commercial wheat is a hexaploid for example....

Jeff

Ed Wahl
03-29-2006, 07:02 AM
Another technique to get really big fish in a small creek is to just leave them alone. A few years ago my wife and I took a road trip that went through the town of Lee Vining. Stopped there in the mid-afternoon and while the wife napped I decided to chech out the fishing prospects nearby. Lee Vining creek is just down the hill from main street, (rt395), but the local tackle shop told me it was closed to fishing. Upon breaking out the regs I saw it listed as a 0 fish limit. To the locals that meant you can't fish, to me it meant catch and release. I caught about half a dozen rainbows in the stretch below the motel in a few hours before dark, all were in the 18 to 20+ range. I was so impressed with that creek I called dfg when I got home to find out 1, if it really was legal to fish,( it was so good it had to be wrong), and 2, where did all these huge fish come from, bearing in mind that I was fishing right in town. DFG told me it was legal and they had no idea where those fish came from, the creek had been de-watered for years by upstream diversion dams.Two years before my trip the good guys finally won the court battle and the creek was brought back. The biologist's theory was that some trout survived in a deep pool somewhere and re-populated when there was water. They can really grow when left alone. Sadly, the next year DFG caved to pressure from the locals and put the creek in the general 5 fish regs. I heard the trout opener that year was phenomenal but tapered off after that. Go figger. Oh well, got the memories anyway. :D

sculpin
03-29-2006, 08:45 AM
Ed
Your post brings back fond memories of the Lee Vining area. I used to spend some time there in the late 60's and early 70's. The fishing was great and no crowds at all. That changed in the early 70's when I quite going to that area.

Mark