PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco info?

fishbonz
03-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Anyone have any word on how Rancho Seco is fishing yet? I was thinking of float tubing there this Sunday.....

ced.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-25-2006, 12:52 AM
It is a year round fishery.

It has bass and panfish on the bite from April through October.

Many of these low elevation lakes are planted with trout in the winter.

November through April would be good if they have planted it.

They do have trout derbies at Rancho Seco.

http://www.smud.org/about/recreation/rancho.html

Wingman
03-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Trout were planted a couple of weeks back for the trout derby. I went out Monday, and my luck, when I got there about 9:30 fishing was over as the wind then rain started in force. Bank fishermen out early had caught a few to about 4lbs with power bait. I never even got my tube in the water or the fly pole out. I did toss some lures and a clear bobber with some diffent flies with no luck. Sunday could be good if the rain passes and there is some sunshine with less wind. When you hit it right it can be great fun in a tube with planted cutbows in the 4lb range on the fly. :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-25-2006, 11:48 AM
For those who have not been to Rancho Seco it is actually a very nice place to visit, picnic and fly fish.

The lake is usually very clear and it has had a good population of black bass and panfish for many years.

There are areas that you can actually wade and fly fishing but a boat, float tube, pontoon boat, kayak or canoe would be better.

I think you can use a boat with electric motor?

Wingman
03-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Bill,

Electric motors are okay! They even have a nice campground. Nice place to take kids, wives, and older folks. Picnic tables and green grass etc. :D