PDA

View Full Version : Clear Lake Crappie?

NCS
03-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Anybody have any ideas on flies, fishing patterns or recommended boat launches for crappies at Clear Lake? I have never fished there at all (or crappies with flies) so any information would help! I was planning on tossing some small streamers, buggers and damsels around docks. I think its a dream trip for my father-in-law who is visiting from Oregon. Thanks in advance.
Nick

Ben-doc
03-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Never fished Clear Lake, but have spent probably a hundred summer mornings and evenings in the midwest flyfishing for crappies. I've always had the best luck with small streamers (size 14-18?), brown and black, right around the docks, just like you said. I could see the fish at many times of day, and they don't usually bite if the fly is constantly moving, so I would strip a few inches, then wait a few seconds, strip again. If you're getting bites but can't keep them hooked, tie on a smaller version of whatever you have on.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

Darian
03-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Hi Nick,..... Earlier this year, some very large Crappie were caught at Clear Lake (according to my sources). :) :) Haven't fished it recently but recommend you go to the Clear Lake Oaks area. There're plenty of bait shops/boat rentals in that area with a public park and some access to tules, piers, etc. 8) If you rent a boat (highly recommended), it makes it easy to get over to Rattlesnake Island where there is really good habitat for Bluegill, Catfish, Crappie and Black Bass. 8)

If fly fishing, I'd use a size 4/6 fly in the usual colors on a sink tip or floating line. Don't get locked into fishing close to the roccky shoreline. :) There're Crappie in the channels between the island and boat house.

Clear Lake is relatively shallow (even when the water is high) with a rocky bottom. Take some Catfish gear/bait along. :evil: :D

NCS
03-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks to you both for the info! My father-in-law and I have both heard a lot of good things about the crappie fishing up there, and we're excited to check it out. I am going to take my boat up there, and will definately check out the Clear Lake Oaks and Rattlesnake Island areas.
Nick