PDA

View Full Version : Bait fish

J.R.
03-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Can anybody tell me what kind of bait/forage fish are found in the American and Sacramento rivers and the Delta. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Buzolich
03-21-2006, 09:11 PM
You've asked a good question that anyone fishing stripers should know.

As for native fish (baitfish) the American and the Sac have an abundance of suckers and squawfish that stripers relish. I've seen stripers with their backs out of water chasing squawfish onto the sand bars in the middle of the Feather at dusk just upstream from Verona, across that big flat at Paradise Beach, just about anywhere they live. Hardhead is another name used for squawfish. Farther down in the delta the is another baitfish like the hardhead called a splittail. Looks just like a very large minnow.
In the delta proper, there are two main baitfish: threadfin shad, and bluegill. Yep, everybody knows about threadfin but spent enough time there and you've see a lot of local guys fishing WITH bluegills for bait especially around the docks and burms.
As for a stripers number one choice of food, try smolt. AKA "Striper Candy". I think there are several patterns with that name as well which shows it's popularity.
There are three other choice foods for stripers that I'd be remiss in not mentioning especially on the American: lamprey eels, crayfish, and shad.
Maybe not in the realm of "baitfish" but definitely food for any hungry striper.
Hope this helps a little and realize that each will work better than another at any given time pending the season.
TONY

Darian
03-22-2006, 09:01 AM
J.R.,..... Two books that I've been using to ID baitfish that should be helpfull in deciding what to tie/use:

A Guide to California's Freshwater Fishes, Bob Madgic. Lots of info and illustrations (color).

The Audubon Society Filed Guide to Fishes, Whales & Dolphins. This has a nationwide scope and contains detailed descriptions with photographs and distribution maps.

slimfishin's
03-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Those stripers sure are hungry hunters! They will eat just about anything that is abundant at the time. Of course, we are talking about adults, as the diet preferences for juvenile striped bass are different (focusing mainly on opposum shrimp). One of the best books going right now is written by local native fish expert Peter Moyle, called Inland Fishes of California. This book covers everything that swims in California, and is an outstanding book. Normally $50 or so, UC Press has them on sale for less than $20 right now. An excellent buy for any fish enthusiast.

Anyway, Tony pretty much covered the native minnows. Only detail is that hardhead are a seperate species from squafish. Squafish are what now are named Sacramento pikeminnow, and are what used to be the dominant predator in California's freshwaters before the introduction of striped bass and largemouth. The Feather River has one of the better hardhead population s around, but have declined across the state.

One thing of interest is that Moyle's book outlines the major striped bass food web in the Delta. And although stripers do eat a varriety of baitfish, the major prey item for adult striped bass is juvenile striped bass. Other baitfish you may find out there, especially lower in the system towards brackish waters include inland silverside, wakasagi, golden shiners, hitch, and a varriety of gobies. Don't forget to include those little chinook either. If I were tying flies to match the hatch, I would probably focus more on general colors of light and dark to match the water conditions and have a varriety of sizes from small to huge.

Cheers,
SF

Wingman
03-22-2006, 11:21 PM
SF,

The book you mention sounds interesting and at $20 a good deal vs. $50. UC Press? Does that mean it is just available in the UC bookstore? Do you have to be a student to get the $20 price? Can I order one online vs. driving to Davis to pick one up?

Thanks

Darian
03-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Hey Slim,.... I just checked on the UC Press on-line facility.... The book by Moyle is listed at $75.00, new hardcover.... :( :(

Is this sale at the store or for registered students, only :?: :?:

slimfishin's
03-23-2006, 08:05 AM
The book is on sale for 73% off at this website here:

http://www.ucpress.edu/books/sale/pages/9299.html

but you will need a coupon code... available by clicking the SALE link to the right of the book listing. Or... you could just use this one: 06D0924

Once you put the book in the shopping cart, enter the coupon code to recalculate the total.

Hope that helps.

SF

Wingman
03-23-2006, 11:12 AM
SF,

Thanks. Total came to $25.60 with tax and $4 shipping after getting a coupon code for signing up for email. Pretty cool! I have a feeling that I will visiting ucpress bookstore regularly. :D

Wingman

slimfishin's
03-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Good to hear!
If you ever make it over to UC Davis, you could get Moyle to sign it. He's usually excited to meet other fish enthusiasts. The book is really an outstanding work - and there's nothing wrong with getting a $75 book on fish for $25. The information and artwork is pretty amazing. It will definitely change your perspective on the places you often fish. Make sure to check out the second chapter about ecology and assemblages too!

SF