PDA

View Full Version : hosting a fly swap??

slage
03-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Newbie host??

Wondering about the ins-and-outs of the protocol?
Can anyone host, what are the groundrules??
Please help a wanna-be tie-master

Hairstacker
03-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey slage, nice to see someone eager to host!

Basically, any member of this board can host. All you have to do is decide what type of flies you would like to host for and then make an announcement for sign-ups. In the announcement, describe the type of fly you're hosting and indicate when the sign-up period will end and when the flies will be due.

Once the sign-up period expires, post again to indicate that sign-ups have closed and indicate how many flies each tyer needs to send in. (Usually, each tyer will be required to send in the number of flies equating to the number of tyers who signed up for the swap (including the host), so that each tyer will get back one of each, all different, including one of the ones they sent in. Also, some hosts ask for an extra fly from each tyer so that a box can be put together for charity purposes.) Indicate where the flies are to be sent or send everyone involved a private message with this information. You can also indicate any special requirements, such as requiring toe tags or lists of ingredients or self-addressed stamped envelopes, etc.

That's basically it. It's best, though, to wait until an existing swap ends before announcing a new one, so that you get as much participation as possible. For example, the flies for the current shad fly swap will be due in the last week of April. You might consider making an announcement for the next swap sometime around that week. Just a suggestion. So, just curious, what type of fly did you have in mind?

Darian
03-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey Slage,.... In addition to the info that Mike provided, you could look back in the archives for prior swaps to see how they were handled. 8) 8) Good to have a potential new swap meister.... :lol: :lol:

slage
03-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks fellas-
Sounds good, I will wait until the Shad are expired.
I was thinking about a round of czech nymphs. I just got really into them and would love to see what others could create. Keep your eyes posted.
Thanks again!