PDA

View Full Version : Center console vs Tiller?

slimfishin's
03-20-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm currently running a tiller on the ol' boat, but was considering installing a center console. I like the idea of a steering wheel and the larger motor you can control with less effort... but I also like the wide-open deck layout of the tiller. Have any of you every upgraded to a console design from a tiller? The upgrade to the console would accompany an upgrade in horsepower, which brings up the question of tiller vs. remote steering. Would you bother with the added expense of installing a console or just stick with the tiller?

SF

Darian
03-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey Slim,.... Not an expert here but it seems to me that in order to make a suggestion, we'd need to know more about the age/size/type of boat you want to upgrade. :? :? Installation of a center console and addition of an bigger outboard, would increase the weight of your boat quite a bit. :? :?

Don't know what it costs to install a center console, linkages, etc., but it might be better to consider getting a new boat that includes what you want. :D :D

Good luck :D :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2006, 10:32 PM
I think that up to say 14' boats you should have a tiller for sure.

From 16' and up you might have enough room for a console.

I think that the consoles really take up a lot of room if you are trying to get around and cast two people at a time out of your boat.

For trout in lakes, stripers and black bass you do a lot of casting from a boat.

For steelhead many use their jet boats for a taxi and wade for their fish.

The console makes back rowing hard too.

slimfishin's
03-20-2006, 11:47 PM
So the boat is an 18' jon boat... a Tracker Grizzly. There's a casting deck up front, then a bench seat 2/3 of the way back. Then a few more feet of floor to the rear casting deck. There are oar locks at the bench seat, which brings up a good point about rowing the boat. Right now, it rows pretty nice, but that would be over with a center console, as it would mount on the back of the bench seat. However, that's what the bow-mount troller is for.

Right now there is a 20hp 2-stroke, 1996 mercury, which gets the boat up to 20mph with two people on board. I can do about 22-23 solo. I'm hoping to get a little more top-end speed to make those longer runs.

So there's the question of more horsepower, but 4-stoke or 2-stroke? If I go 4-stroke, I can't get the xtra horsepower, since the boat is only rated for the weight of a 40hp two stroke. But slapping on a two-stroke of that caliber means I would probably lose my gas mileage, and may have to install the console.

All in all, I think upgrading to a 25hp four stroke tiller might be a good call. That way I get a bit more speed, good gas mileage and save the space of the console. However...... there is something to be said for the added sea-worthyness of the console to handle heavier water.

Decisions, decisions...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Your Mecury 20hp 2 stroke is probably 110#

Lightest 4 stroke weights:

Yamaha 25hp = 135#

Honda 30hp = 150#

Yamaha 40hp = 185#

These are all really good motors and the lightest in their class.

slimfishin's
03-21-2006, 03:20 AM
Bill, those are all very good motors. The funny thing is that a 40hp two stroke Mercury from the mid/late 1990's (say 1997) weighs in at about 185lbs, similar to the 4-stroke Yamaha 40hp. That Yamaha 4-stroke is even lighter than Evninrude's E-tec 2-stroke if you can believe that! The problem is getting the cash to cover that motor... :(

It also looks like Yamaha has discontinued their 30hp four strokes. I may just have to keep my eyes open for a used engine that will fit my budget and my needs...... or figure a way to make my current boat lighter!

SF

sculpin
03-21-2006, 07:22 AM
SF
Like Darian says it depends on what you use the boat for. Up here in Oregon more and more Guides are using an open sled with a tiller. I'm not a guide but have a open sled with tiller and really enjoy fishing out of the boat. They suck in the rain when you have to be up on step. The driver gets it in the face while everone else can hunker down. With the consel you can get a flip up windshield for some protection from the elements. Another thing a consel elevates you for better visability while traveling, which is handy in tight spaces and new water. The down side is the consel takes up a bunch of room and always seems to be in the way when fishing. Good luck.

Mark

alaskanfish
03-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Slimfishin

I upgraded last year from a CC to a tiller! I have a 20' welded aluminum Koffler special with a Yamaha 4 stroke 50hp (detuned to 35). I fish mainly on rivers.

http://www.alaskanfishguides.com/Images/Gallery/Fishing/tryking%2013.jpg

Here is my rationale: Tiller is way more responsive than a Center Console. I can hold a line with greater ease while back trolling or back bouncing in the current. I have a wide open deck in front of me for fighting the fish (up to 70+pound king salmon). Clients have an easier time following the fish around the boat. With the tiller, I am in the back of the boat and able to better observe all of the rods and folks fishing.

On the other hand, the problems with a tiller: you practically can't take your hand off of the tiller, say to tie on a new rig or bait a hook. (I know that the Yamaha has a friction plate, but it has not worked consistentily for me). If rough water or salt, there isn't anything solid to hang onto, like a steering wheel or console. There isn't an ergonomical place for the electronics without a console. You possibly loose convenient dry storage that you would have with a console.

All things considered, the tiller is the best choice for me.

By the way, steering cable/gears do wear out; figure around $250 per cable +/-...