PDA

View Full Version : Car Broken Into On American 3/17

Chris Laskodi
03-17-2006, 09:06 PM
To everyone who fishes the American,
I was fishing and checking out the river today at Sunrise, where the road dead-ends up top. I went down to the river for about 15-20 mins and when I came back someone had smashed my window in and taken the most valuable things in my truck, my North Face jacket, and a 30$ power inverter I use for my laptop. I had taken all my valuables with me, my wallet and camera, and there was really nothing in the car to steal. My truck was the only car in the little pull-out. Another fly-flinger came up after I was trying to get hold of the sheriff's dept. and he said he had seen a few break-ins himself.

These type of break-ins are seeming to be commonplace up there. I know of another guy who had his car broken into a few weeks ago in the lot where almost everyone goes. It seems like these people are waiting in the bushes for people to leave and breaking in.

If you do go out there, make sure your car is locked and everything valuable is hidden from sight, but preferably take the valuables with you. I could have had easily several thousand dollars taken from me if I had left my wallet in the car. If something looks suspicious, don't park there. I don't know if I'm going to go to that spot again if I'm the only car there.

As for the fishing, its been real slow, there aren't many fish in there and the few that are in there are being snagged by the bait guys. I saw one guy today snag a hen and killed her. I did see a few fish caught today that were legitmatate though, all by bait guys. Its pretty tough to fly-fish at these flows with all the competition. It should be getting better in the next few weeks though, I can't wait for the springers.

Chris Laskodi

Here's a couple of pictures of the damage:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ctlaskodi/DSCN7013.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ctlaskodi/DSCN7022.jpg

David Lee
03-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Anytime you wanna be 'bait' - I'll be more than happy to bring the baseball bat and hide in the bushes :idea:

That'll cure a few of those PRICKS :evil:

David :nod:

jbird
03-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Man Chris, That really bites!
Your vehicle interior looks a bit like my tundra....minus the broken glass.
We have a problem with breakins up here too. Every time I leave my truck unattended when I fish the rogue, The thought crosses my mind at least every 15 minutes..." I wonder if My trucks being vandalized?"

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-18-2006, 01:15 AM
This happens around all cities and out lying areas.

Hell, it happens outside my fly shop in my parking lot.

It is very sad.

Don't ever have anything visibly inside your car, ever, anywhere.

All I can think is to not have anything in your vehicle and leave it unlocked when you go fishing.

We were all at Rossmoor Bar on the lower American River about 20 years ago shad fishing one evening. When we got back to our cars about 8 of them had been broken into. This was while we were fishing from 7pm till dark(~9pm).

They have a tool they drive into your exterior lock and then twist it to open you car. It basically ruins your door.

FishyMe
03-18-2006, 08:10 AM
we should set these guys up.... i have had my car broken in too many times..i get fed up soo much.... if i ever had the chance to catch these guys, i may take the law into my own hands...

Darian
03-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Wow!!! This topic is a flash from the past. Has Frank Pullen been around :?: :lol:

I understand the frustrations, etc. But let's not lose sight of the fact that if you resort to violence, you may well find yourself on the wrong end of the "long arm of the law". :shock: :shock: Fishing is supposed to reduce tensions; not raise them.... :D :D

FishyMe
03-18-2006, 09:12 AM
i know.... but when you have had you car stolen twice..broken into three times.... its hard not to take things into your own hands.... just wish fishermen can park their cars and not worry about them..

Chris Laskodi
03-18-2006, 11:41 AM
This is the 3rd or 4th break-in I've seen personally this year, as in 2006, and I'm only out there once a week. I think its getting to the point where something needs to be done. It wouldn't be hard to catch these guys as it seems they are waiting in the bushes, just set them up with the Sac County Sheriff's Dept. It wouldn't be too difficult. I'd volunteer my car to be bait if these guys get caught.

gryhackl
03-18-2006, 12:11 PM
It seems that I see a bunch of seedy looking characters every time I go down to the river anymore. I suppose since the cuts in the budget have been put in place the regular patrols have been cut back and criminal activity is prolierating. I remember well what happened to Frank Pullen but I wouldn't want to be at Watt Ave. or anywhere else, alone, without protection. Sadly the best policy would be to not go at all or don't go to the river alone.

Darian
03-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Don't want to belabor this subject too much but this type of criminal activity is carried out on County land and is the Sheriff's responsibility. 8)

Vandalism is on the increase all over Sacramento and the river parkway is no exception.... :x :x For people coming from other areas to fish, it happens to them while away from their vehicles but it happens everywhere (not just the river). :( :(

Anyone seen a Sheriff's vehicle in the watershed, recrently :?: :?: I can't recall seeing any of 'em for a long time. I have seen Park Police vehicles (....but not many :? ). Vandalism along the river is just not high on the list of priorities for law enforcement and understandably so. 8)

Maybe the only real solution to this is what Bill suggested in his post. 8) 8) Take precautions and travel light.... Be careful. 8) 8)

smokeater
03-18-2006, 05:45 PM
What happened to Frank Pullen?

Adam Grace
03-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Sorry to hear that Chris.

Darian
03-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Among one of many adventures I heard about or from Frank was one where he was retreating from the river at the close of the day, somewhere in the Sunrise area, when he blundered into a drug deal "goin' down" in a parking lot.... :shock: Frank said he backed off and the "dealers" didn't bother him. 8)

I have no personal knowledge of this event and have no doubt that some version of it actually happened, but: always felt that Frank (who has said that he packs heat when he's fishin' :? ) had a tendency to embellish these type of events. :lol: Of course, if I were looking down the barrel of any firearm, I would probably think it was Howitzer and would probably shoot myself in the foot if I was armed..... :lol: :lol: (I digress)

Anyway, There's a good reason why Bill described Frank as "ol' lock and load Pullen." 8)

Jgoding
03-20-2006, 02:49 PM
That sux about your car. I had mine broken into at work awhile ago,but at least they pried the window open and didn't get glass all over the place. Still, they got my amp, stereo and subs and some of my work out clothes and tore my interior up something fierce.

Just a warning, try not to keep personal information in your car either or lock it up. They took my garage door opener, car's manual, and all my insurance/registration stuff as well. We reset our garage door that day so they couldn't use the opener but some co-workers weren't as bright and the same day their car got busted into the pricks came by the house and went into the garage and stole the husbands truck and anything of value in the garage while they slept....