PDA

View Full Version : line to leader knot?

FishyMe
03-16-2006, 12:50 PM
what is most commonly use? what is the best? thank you

NCS
03-16-2006, 02:21 PM
I use either a nail knot or albright knot to attach a 2 foot butt section of 20-30# mono to the fly line. The albright is stronger, but I'm used to the nail knot. I use a blood knot to connect the butt section to my leader, as long as the butt section and leader are at least 75% similar in diameter.

This link has most of the common knots and their uses.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkknots/index.html

Good luck!
Nick

Darian
03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
This subject is an active topic on most BB's. The choice of knots to use as connectors is largely dictated by personal choice or the size of the fish you're targeting.... Pretty vague, huh!! In the main, I use loop to loop connections. 8) These loops may be made in the section of the material tied onto the end of your line or into the end of your line. Still pretty vague, huh!!

You haven't said if you've raed up on this, yet, so I'm going to assume you're a beginner. 8) In that case, you should get a good book on knots by, say, Lefty Kreh ("Fly Fishing Knots and Connections").... Also, there're a number of very good websites that have info on this. 8) Try www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html , Rio's or Frog Hair's sites. 8) If you google this question you'll undoubtedly get a bunch of info. When you get advanced enough, try "FlyCasting Systems" by Bill Nash. You can Reach Bill thru Blanton's website..... 8) 8)

I know I haven't been overly specific but my preference in learning from the beginning is to have someone point me in the right direction and give me a nudge. Research/knowledge gained that way is mine forever. :) :)

Have fun and keep us informed on what you decide.... :D

MSP
03-16-2006, 05:53 PM
I use half a Unitouni knot to tie my butt sections onto my fly line. Slowly cinch it down. alternate pulling the the butt section and butt section tag end while pushing the wraps together. I also use this knot to tie my leader sections together. Haven't had a failure in the 30 years I've been using it. I'm talking about the connection to the fly line of course. Have had 1 or 2 knots slip on the leader. :wink: Operator error one might say. :shock:

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/500/285unitouni.gif

jbird
03-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Thats interesting Mike. I have never heard of this knot for coneecting flyline to butt. You are actually barrel wrapping your flyline? Does the knot have a large profile?

Jay

MSP
03-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi Jay, no the knot has a pretty low profile. I just use the knot with the butt secton, I just cinch it down on the fly line. No wraps with the fly line, it's straight. I'd say it comes out about the same size as a nail knot. I learned the knot while working on a sportfishing boat out of San Diego splicing different diameter lines together. So I have just incorporated it into my fly fishing. The butt to fly line knot is something I just tried and found it works great and is a lot easier to tie than a nail knot.

Am I making any sense?

Sturmer White
03-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Hey Jbiad and MSP
I use that knot to tye on my droper when shortlining. It is a Duncan loop.
In your picture at point #2 where the knots are still seperated and there is a double line you attach a third piece of tippit about 12 inches long by using another duncan loop around the double oart and tighten all 3.
This rig keeps the fly out at almost a right angles for your top fly.
Great system.
Is that confusing or what?

MSP
03-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Yea Sturmer it is basically the same knot, just used in a different application. I just leave a long tag end from my tippet knot and tie my droppers on that.

Hairstacker
03-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Other than braided mono loops, for attaching leader butt to fly line, I just use a plain ol' nail knot. Have never had one fail yet. Ever.

jbird
03-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Mike and Strummer

I too tie in my dropper with a right angle knot. All I do is add a 2' piece of tippet with a triple surgeons knot and tie in my dropper on one of the tag ends and clip the other. Very simple, very effective, very strong.

Jay

Rick J
03-17-2006, 01:09 PM
My favorite connection for trout lines (say 6 wt and under) is a needle nail knot - tie in a butt section then blood knot my leader to this. I do not like loops for light weight fly lines.

For steelhead and salt water I usually use loops - if not worried about bring tip of fly line into the guides I just loop my fly line tip and use 10# maxima to nail knot it down - usually 2 then coat with a flex cement. With a bit more care I will strip off the plastic core and loop this by whip finishing with thread - this gives a smaller profile.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Most fly shops install a mono butt section with a needle-nail knot in fresh water fly lines that have hollow braided nylon cores. I think it is the cleanest and one of the most popular knots to use. It puts the butt section in the center of the line and not off to one side like a standard nail knot.

Needle-nail knots are not hard to do after some practice. We do them all day long at the shop. Most anglers only would need to do them a few times a years.

Lots of people use a nail knot to install their butt section or the butt of their tapered knot-less leader to their fly line.

For most tropical lines with hard solid mono or braided mono cores we use a custom braided mono loop.