PDA

View Full Version : Shad Pattern....????

Darian
03-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Been tying a pattern from Gary Bulla's site for Baja called a Tuna Tux. 8) 8) After playing around with the proportions and adding some flash, It looks a lot like a small Shad. 8) 8) Can't wait to try it in the american.... :D :D

Katz
03-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Any pics of this new beauty??

Katz

Wingman
03-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Darian,

I'd also like to see this new beauty. Some tying details will give us something to do until the sun begins to shine again to commence field testing :evil: :D

Tony Buzolich
03-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I just went to Gary bulla's website and it gave complete tying instructions and phots's of the Tuna Tux.

Nice looking fly but simply uses black as a darker back material for contrast.

There are a bunch of great looking baitfish patterns out there and every area has to adapt it's colors to the local baitfish in the area being fished.
Sardina's around Loreto for example seem to have an olive and tan coloration on their back. Goggle-eyes in the keys have a very vivid turquoise blue stripe on there back, etc., etc.

Always try and key in on a particular feature of the bait you're trying to copy.

Another good example is the Skwala stone on the Yuba, look at his butt :D . That is a real trigger for the trout feeding on them just like eyes are on baitfish for bigger game.
TONY

Darian
03-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Sorry guys, I don't have a digital camera (....being technologically challenged :shock: ). So, no pic's available. However, as Tony suggests the Tuna Tux uses white, gray and black Ocean or Ultra Hair with minimal flash in it's construction and it's tied on an Owner AKI hook. Since these synthetic filaments are not opaque, the fly appears translucent in the water. 8) :)

My attempts to modify it include a change to a lighter gray/olive back with an increase in the amount and change of the flash to emphasize pearl/silver. Also, I've tried to slightly increase overall length of the silhouette. 8) 8)

I'm tying this variation on a Mustad 34007. I'm gonna have to get a digital camera. :lol: :lol:

sculpin
03-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Darian

If I can learn to take a picture with a digital camera and post a picture anyone can. Just find a kid to help you with it. Your gonna need one to take pictures of the big Rooster your gonna catch in Baja anyway. :D

Mark

Darian
03-16-2006, 08:34 PM
OK, OK..... I get the message. :oops: I've been checking out the Apple Notebooks and am about to make a buy. Might as well throw in a digital camera, too. 8) 8)

Actually, I'm not as technologically challenged as I try to make out that I am :shock: but what the hell, I'm still a Scot.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

sculpin
03-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Hmmm a Scot. Well so am I. I'm sure youv'e heard why the Scotch wear Kilts. The soud of zippers scare the sheep. :D :D

Mark

Darian
03-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Nice for Alastair and I to have a fellow Scot/traveller on board. 8) 8)

I've always thought a Kilt covered the Loch Ness Monster :shock: (....at least that's what I tell the wee lasses :lol: :lol: )