PDA

View Full Version : deltaboat ride

FishyMe
03-15-2006, 07:31 PM
if anyone is going to the delta and dont mind a newbie tagging along to watch and maybe try, let me know.. i just finally got my rod and reel set up.... ill help on gas or anything else you want .... pm me or email me..

im free on wednesdays and sundays...

thankyou

Katz
03-15-2006, 08:32 PM
I've got some Wed's and if I can ever get out there I will let you know.

I would love to show you some spots on the A in another couple months as well.

Katz

FishyMe
03-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! soooo many helpful and generous people on this board!!! thanks to everyeone that helped me out..!!!!

mark
03-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Im located in Lodi. I have a boat and I am just getting set up myself with gear etc. Anyone out there who wants to go out and show me the ropes that doesn't have a boat. Just let me know and we can take mine. Its a skiboat but it has plenty of room for casting etc and it gets around the delta pretty quick.

Im open to any type of striper fishing and just looking to get headed in the right direction.

Ill pay for gas, launch fees etc..

-Mark

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-29-2006, 01:45 AM
Hi Mark,

Do you have a bow mounted electric motor?

The Minn Kota auto pilots are the most popular for fly fishers.

Some friends use their family ski boats in the delta. They have built a removable platform on the bow with the electric attached to it.

Most use these to position the boat for casting and holding in the wind.

I fished down there years ago with a guide who merely wind drifted across big open areas dragging a sea anchor. Some will drag a chain to slow the boat down and to keep it going in a straight line without spinning.

You also want to have very few things to snag your line on or have a large bucket affair to put your running line into rather than on the deck.

mark
03-29-2006, 10:13 AM
No I do not have a trolling motor YET. I am still reeling from the gear expenses myself and will likely get into the trolling motors and fish finders etc. when the piggy bank fills back up.

I do have several types of anchors to maintain position among the wind and tides etc. and also anchors that will slow your movement as well. I have also been working on a homemade stripping basket out of those old post office baskets that they use to hold large amounts of mail.

I will be in your shop in a couple of days to stock up on striper fly tying materials, hopefully you will be there and we can talk stripers for a bit.

Thanks for the help
-Mark

FishyMe
03-30-2006, 01:30 PM
hey mark, if you ever need another beginner to tag along...let me know... i know i wont be able to help much about the actual fishing, but be happy to pitch in with gas, food etc.. let me know

mark
03-31-2006, 01:13 PM
fishy. sounds good. I will be trying my luck on the delta as soon as it clears up a bit. I will keep you posted. I am anxious to get out there but from what I have been hearing, there is very little clear water so we need to hope for a letup and get some sunny days under our belt. Then we can head out.

-Mark

FishyMe
03-31-2006, 01:26 PM
well.. i actually decided to get rid of my striper set up......going to upgrade my trout set up instead.... but im pretty sure alot of guys on here would take you up on that offer.. thanks though