PDA

View Full Version : Optical magnification.

Harry Massingill
03-14-2006, 10:00 AM
I build / restore fly rods and while wrapping a guide the other day in the garage I decided to try a flip-up style magnification loupe to help me see what I was doing. I was pleasantly surprised (shocked is a better word) on how it helped me with my work. My wife is a dental hygeniest who sells these loupes (the company is called Sheer Vision / www.sheervision.com) to students beginning their dental hygiene careers. The loupes aren't cheap. They sell for $595 at trade shows and $695 direct but are super high quality (they're custom fitted and you can have your optical prescription added). These are for dentists and surgeons so they spare no expense. They come in a real nice felt lined wood box, 30 day free trial, they'll split into two payments and they're at least $300 cheaper than the competition.

I was thinking of going to a local fly fishing trade show to see what the response might be for this product. Do any of you use magnification? Do you experience back or neck pain after tying fly's for a few hours? Does your vision get blurry or do you get a headache? Is this product too high end? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Harry

Jgoding
03-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Harry those loupes sound cool but the cost is pretty high for a tying aid.... Albeit I've spent much more on materials........ Maybe when I get to the point where I need it I'll change my opinion on it though..LOL

I do see how they would be 100X times better than any desk magnifier etc.... etc... though.

Jeff