PDA

View Full Version : First nice Steelhead on the coast.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-12-2006, 10:56 PM
http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/Steelhead-Salmon/Coastal_Steelhead.jpg

I got this picture from Luke Prostine who has been putting in his time trying to get a nice Steelhead on a fly on one of our little Nor Cal coastal rivers. He finally landed this 31" wild Steelhead on the Garcia River last month, February, 2006.

Adam Grace
03-13-2006, 12:32 AM
what a nice long silver bullet!

Luke P.
03-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks for posting Bill! After several failed attempts on the area rivers I finally caught my first adult steelhead and a nice one at that....

It was a great fish and perfect morning on the Garcia. The fish was a 31" wild hen that had already spawned and was probably heading back to sea. It fought like crazy and took me well into my backing several times. After removing the fly and taking that shot the fish swam away immediately as if it had never been hooked....amazing how strong those things are. Anyway, now I am officially addicted!!!

Hairstacker
03-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Luke, wow, what a GREAT fish to start with, one that took you into your backing several times. I'll bet you remember that fish for the rest of your life. Congratulations! 8)

Jgoding
03-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Man, that's a long a#$ fish.... with a big a$# tail too. I can see why it had so much power! What a beauty.