PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Fishing Ban Considered

Digger
03-11-2006, 03:31 PM
SACRAMENTO — Federal regulators are considering an unprecedented ocean fishing ban on Chinook salmon along 700 miles of California and Oregon coast, threatening to spread distress from beleaguered commercial fleets to family dinner tables.

The Pacific Fishery Management Council meets next week in Seattle to recommend how the federal government should tackle a problem caused by plummeting commercial salmon stocks on the troubled Klamath River.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-salmon4mar04,1,1748016.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california

Mike L
03-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Great Article, but in my oppinion I don't think they should ban salmon fishing for good in the 700 mile stretch from norcal into oregon. Why don't they just make it catch and release only or just do the restricted season thing and make it restricted every-other year or every 2 years?

Darian
03-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Somebody help me!!! I'm confused.... :? If I recall correctly, the fish kills in the Klamath occurred in the estuary and were due to warm water temps where instream flows were reduced due to diversions for farmers in Oregon.... :x :x

How does a ban on fishing for Salmon in the ocean address that issue :?: :?: It seems to me that the Pacific Fishery Management Council should make recommendations to the Fed's to increase the volume of in-stream flows. [-X

A lot of commercial and charter fisherman in both states who rely on Salmon fishing in the ocean may be devastated by this.... :( :( In the articles I've read in the SacBee/SFChron, river fishing would be uneffected. 8)