PDA

View Full Version : Sad news....one of our long time fishing buddies is gone.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Some of you here might have known Skip Orr, who was part of our old fishing group when we were all younger. I just got word that he had a heart attack on Feb 18. I don't think he was ever sick so it must have been a shock to the family.

Skip was the most entertaining person in our group and was in an ongoing contest with my brother Dick for telling jokes and just being funny. We were all members of the California Fly Fishers Unlimited of Sacramento back in the '70s. We fished every day we could back in those days and had some great times.

One of our best times was when we would get a group together and drive to the Pit River in the Fall. We would go into Deep Creek camp and no one was ever there but us. From year to year different people made up the group. "Oregonsalmon" or Galen Geller as we know him was just a teenager then. We usually had great fishing with the Isonychia mayflies on the move but the high point of the trip was the evening around the campfire with some really good food and lots of BSing and story telling. Fall evenings outside around a campfire with a group of crazy guys was always too much fun.

Once I remember we were drinking a bit and telling big stories and "Skippy" fell back into the fire momentarily with his old Seal Dri waders on. He actually feel back and then bounced right out in a millisecond. I don't think he even hurt his waders. We all laughed so much we almost got sick.

Skip will be missed by many.

David Lee
03-10-2006, 11:52 AM
My condolences to Skips family and friends .

David

gryhackl
03-10-2006, 07:08 PM
I remember Skip well from those days as a regular around the shop. I hadn't seen him in a number of years and saddened to hear of his passing.

I pray that I may live to fish
Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
I then must humbly pray
When in my Lord's great landing net
I'm peacefully asleep,
That I may be judged
Big enough to keep.