PDA

View Full Version : April Flyswap is CLOSED -

David Lee
03-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Open to all , y'all know the program .

I'll close down signups April 1st , unlimited spots ( :x :shock: :shock: :evil: )

David :D

Suckers .... er , tyers commited thus far are ....
1.-Hairstacker
2.-Wingman
3.-The Host :evil:
4.-Jeff Goding
5.-Nightgoat
6.-Chris V.
7.-Terry Thomas
8.-Lil' Stripe
9.-Gregg Machel
10.-MSP
11.-Darian
12.-Clarkblanchard
13.-SullyTM

Swap is closed . Send 13 bugs in a box to ...

Toe tags are optional , so is return postage .

Thanks to all Swappers - you guys ROCK ! =D>

Hairstacker
03-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Count me in!! Thanks for hosting David!

Wingman
03-10-2006, 12:48 AM
David,

Add me to your list. Shad it is. Do you have some shad patterns that can be used for stripers! :twisted: :evil:

Wingman

David Lee
03-10-2006, 06:45 AM
David,

Add me to your list. Shad it is. Do you have some shad patterns that can be used for stripers! :twisted: :evil:

Wingman

Ummm ...... I've taken a few Schoolies (along w/ Steelhead , Salmon and Suckerfish) on my Shad flies over the years . I really think you need only about 6 different flies to catch everything in the A. .

Lower , warmer could help a little , also :idea:

Jgoding
03-10-2006, 09:21 AM
me in!! LOL

nightgoat
03-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Allright, count me in... Hopefully I won't be tying 500 flies :lol: :evil:

Chris V
03-10-2006, 10:00 AM
I'd like to get in on this one.

Thanks! :D

Terry Thomas
03-10-2006, 10:08 AM
O.K., I'm in.
Terry

TaylerW
03-10-2006, 05:06 PM
im in

David Lee
03-11-2006, 12:23 AM
112 views and eight takers .

:P :P :P :P :P :P

I would have thought .... with something as useful (c'mon - who REALLY has enough ?) and simple (dozen an hour ?? My Cats could do that ....) as plain ol' Shad bugs .... that you fellas would bankrupt me from the return postage .

Shake them 'cabin blues' and make this one the BIG swap - take your place in history - be one of the few - dare to taste the apple .........

( :evil: :evil: :evil: )

Gregg Machel
03-11-2006, 12:37 AM
OK, I'm in. I'll pick a pattern later on though, not sure now what I'll do.

I have to admit though, I am a bit gun shy after the last swap (spending all that time and then messing up on the epoxy with no time left) Very frustrating!

David Lee
03-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Truth be told Gregg ..... you are a MUCH better tyer than you think you are .

I , having seen your flies , would fish one of them in a heartbeat .

No lies -

David

Jgoding
03-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey, I wanted to get an idea what everyone was tying?? I tied my own creation last year similar to a wet pinky....

Marabou tail (white I think... chartreuse/green pearl cord braid body, lead eyes), hook up designed. I think that's it... LOL I can't even remember now if it had a collar or not.... I'll have to dig one out and look at it I guess when I get home. But it caught a fair share of fish last year (actually, caught all my shad on it last year). I just want to know as I might try something new if other people are doing something similar.

I'm trying a new hook as well, Mustad ck52s popper hook (black nickel plated ones too!!)..... it has a little v-shape crimp near the eye where you can place dumbell eyes so it rides hook up but they're perfectly in-line.... I usually use a partridge yk12st something but I'm running low and not many shops carry em.

Jeff

MSP
03-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Count me in David.

SullyTM
03-15-2006, 07:51 PM
David, when would the flies be due? I'd like to join in but work may prevent me. Thanks. Thom

David Lee
03-15-2006, 09:17 PM
David, when would the flies be due? I'd like to join in but work may prevent me. Thanks. Thom

:shock: Thom .... they're just Shad flies !!

Not the 'super-real' cool ones you tye to scare me ..... just plain ol' Shad bugs ..... dozen a night , easy !! :nod:

Let's say , returned to me by the LAST WEEK of April , shall we ??

Darian
03-16-2006, 12:05 AM
OK guys,.... I'll join in with a chartreuse version of the bowstring. 8) 8)

This ought to be a pleasant break in tying saltwater flies for La Paz in june. :D :D :D

SullyTM
03-16-2006, 07:42 AM
OKOKOKOKOKOK...I'm in :D

I'll tye a 'Plain 'ole Shad Fly'...

12 a night :? I hope not :roll:

Thanks for shaming me into the swap :lol: Thom

clarkblanchard
03-16-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm in guys. This will be my first swap. I've been wanting to join one for a while. I'll be tying my version of the "wet pinky".

Clark

MSP
03-16-2006, 02:13 PM
The Shad flies are starting to migrate from the tying bench. Most of you conventional Shad guys may look down your noses at these since they are not your typical shad pattern. :eek: I've been fishing these the last 2 years getting more fish than I really cared to. I use these as an emerging Caddis for 1/2 pounders but I can't seem to keep the Shad off of them. Give them a try this season and see if they work for you. :shock:

Most guys I see fishing for Shad are using a 6 or 7wt rod with some type of sinking or sinking tip line. I use these patterns on my trusty 5wt and a floating line with a 10' leader and a split shot or 2 depending on the run I'm fishing. I'm probably crazy but throwing sinking lines for a few hours doesn't do anything for my old shoulder. ](*,)

Oh well I guess you can tell I'm a little bored. Getting together with Adam and Jason for a outing on the Feather tomorrow. Definately looking forward to that. Film at 11:00 \:D/

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MPutman/DSC00025.jpg

SullyTM
03-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Mike...They look nice. Kind of a "Pump Me Up" poopah clone.

Good luck on the Feather...Don't let Adam and Jason out fish ya...

Thom.

Hairstacker
03-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Mike, is that THE poopah pattern you've been catching all those steelhead on?!? Man, getting a copy of that fly alone is worth the price of admission to this swap. 8)

MSP
03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Hey Mike, it is basically the same but with a carpet wing. Remove the carpet wing and yes it is the fly I was using on the Trinity and the American. I do tie these up in olive, worm brown, tan, and orange.

Thom, if I were a betting man I wouldn't put any money on me getting the most fish tomorrow. These young wippersnappers fish pretty tough. :oops:

Hairstacker
03-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Mike, I see. . . . So the addition of the carpet wing is to make it shad-specific? In other words, you don't ever use the carpet wing when fishing for steelhead? Just want to make sure I understand correctly.

MSP
03-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Oh no Mike, I use this pattern as my Caddis Emerger. Very effective on the 1/2 pounders (if that is what they are, see Steelhaed and Salmon post :) ) when the caddis are in town. Especially on the American in another month or so, if the water ever gets down to 2,500 or lower. I really don't fish for Shad. I'm always after the 1/2 pounders and have run into a lot of success with the Shad. A standard Bead Head Fox Poopah in worm brown or olive works just as well. Size 12 or 14 will do the trick.

Not much Caddis activity when the adult fish are in so I use the large Poopah patterns without the wing. Size 8, 2x long, 2x strong.

Ok, now I'm confused. :?

Hairstacker
03-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks Mike! I've seen The Pictures, so I always pay very close attention when you make references to flies. Kind of like EF Hutton time. :lol:

MSP
03-16-2006, 06:51 PM
As you can see Mike I am always making reference to the same fly. :shock: I think most of my success has come from being in the right place at the right time. Not sure the flies have had anything to do with it. But I'm not one to argue with success! :roll:

Darian
03-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Ya know Mike if all of us had the same attitude we wouldn't be loaded down with a ton of flies every time we hit the river.... :) :) Of course, Bill wouldn't have flies for sale either.... :( :(

MSP
03-16-2006, 09:18 PM
That's is true Darian. But I'm just as bad as anyone else when it comes to having a few hundred flies on the water. I carry quite a variety of flies but I do have my confidence patterns. I never used a Poopah in the 20 years I lived in Colorado. Mr. Fox designed a very nice fly that can be modified to do a lot of things. I have noticed they don't make a very good dry pattern when using a bead ](*,) but using a dry hackle instead of Partridge, no bead, and using thread to hold down the Vernille instead of wire it does make a very effective dry. I guess when you get old you get set in your ways. I heard somewhere that if it's not broke don't fix it #-o

JD
03-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Mike,

How do you like to taper the polar braid on your caddis pattern? I use the same stuff on a similar pattern, but getting a decent taper on the polar braid because of the different melting points of the material (cord in a mylar braided mesh). Soldering gun ended up working reasonably well, but I've been look for other solutions for a while and I was wondering what you used.

I too have been using "small" caddis patterns for shad with great success, although I haven't tried nymphing for shad yet.

MSP
03-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi JD, I just burn the end with a lighter. You're right, the inside and outside do not want to burn at the same melting point. I sometimes have to melt the material more than once, but if you ease the flame to the material it seems to work better. All I really care about is that the material will not start fraying while fishing, I don't think the fish can tell if it's a little off. Of course my flys don't usually last that long anyway, either lose them in a bush or the bottom. :(

Jgoding
03-20-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't know MSP, that's not how I remember you doing it. I distinctly remember you cutting about a 6" piece of that braided stuff, sticking one end in your mouth and lighting up, sucking in, and holding for about 5 secs to get a nice taper.....

SullyTM
03-21-2006, 08:19 AM
"either lose them in a bush or the bottom." :-({|=

How about those fish that can't leave them alone??? I've seen Mike's flies in action...They never come close to a bush :wink:

Later...

SullyTM
03-22-2006, 08:31 PM
A Baker's Dozen have signed up. David, you going to wait another week :D

I'm ready to mail :twisted:

Later. Thom

David Lee
03-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Yeah ... let's wait until the first .

I tyed four dozen in two days - hope that $#@%^$&%^(*&*$### river drops enough to use 'em before September :roll:

Now - on to Bass flies :evil: :evil: :evil:

SullyTM
03-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Bass Flies??? Whatcha' tying up? Some of your beadhead olive woolies? Thom

David Lee
03-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Bass Flies??? Whatcha' tying up? Some of your beadhead olive woolies? Thom

Well ...... foam and Deerhair topwater bugs , streamers , etc .

Come to think of it - I SHOULD crank a few dozen OBHWBs in a few sizes , just to make sure :idea: Also , doing a few saltwater suprise boxes for friends going on trips soon , and a few exp bugs for savages from Tracy , Negativeland , Oxnard , Medford , ............... :evil:

I LOVE my friends ... what can I say ??

Chris V
03-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Alright guys- here's some photos of my swap flys.

I know shad aren't picky, but let me know what you think...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/cvan456/3f03a2a8.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/cvan456/5fa0b2a9.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/cvan456/DSCN2146_Reduced.jpg

David Lee
03-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Those look tasty !!

David 8)

Hairstacker
03-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Chris, I think your flies look GREAT!! Your flies reminded me of why I just KNEW, immediately, that I needed to sign up for this swap. By the way, for anyone out there reading this, this swap is still open for more folks to join in. . . . 8)

David Lee
03-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Little-known fact -

Shad flies also catch Sunfish , Trout , and Bass .

Try one sometime :idea:

David :nod:

Terry Thomas
03-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Have we determined how many of these little guys that we need to tie?

TaylerW
03-28-2006, 08:43 PM
my concoction for this swap-
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/TaylerWells/photo092.jpg

Hope you guys like it, any suggestions?
Tayler

David Lee
03-29-2006, 01:04 AM
my concoction for this swap-
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/TaylerWells/photo092.jpg

Hope you guys like it, any suggestions?
Tayler

Looks like a killer -

Of course .... I'll be more than happy to 'test' a few for ya !! :P

Nice work !!

David

Hairstacker
03-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Nice job Tayler! As far as suggestions, how 'bout we throw a bunch of these in front of some shad come late May/June timeframe? 8)

Chris V
03-29-2006, 08:45 AM
Good looking fly Little Striper.

My suggestion is- lets figure a way to stop this rain, lower the rivers, and give us a chance to fish!

SullyTM
03-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks for hosting David.

My 'Plain Ole Shad Flies' are in the mail :D

Later...Thom

David Lee
04-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Just a reminder fellas ...

Flies are due by the LAST WEEK OF APRIL :nod:

Clark
04-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Mine are in the mail.

Thanks for hosting David.

Gregg Machel
04-20-2006, 01:15 AM
I just finished mine. I got motivated and tied two different patterns, so all of you are going to get two for the price of one from me! Whooo Hoooo!!!!

I've not tied in a long time, and it feels good to have the "bug" again.

I'll bring them to the Expo this weekend.

David Lee
04-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Still missing a few boxes , so get crackin' dudes -

I will be off-line for a few days .... I'll send out the Shad swap bugs when I get the rest of 'em .

CHOP-CHOP :evil:

David :P

Jgoding
05-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry, I'm running a little late on my flies (as usual!!). I will get them out this week I promise. I had the brilliant idea of making extra money and taking a second part time job around april 1st or so..... long story short, I'm working 40-60 hours/week part time......... so time for fly tying has been a little lacking

Jeff

David Lee
05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
I'll divy up and mail out all boxes when JG gets his flies here .

Thanks to all !!

Jgoding
05-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey everyone,

flies are done and will be going out tomorrow. Hopefully we'll get to use em soon, sorry for the delay.

jeff

David Lee
05-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Flies will be mailed out tomorrow (Friday) .

I apologize to all for the delay , I've been waiting on two tyers . They haven't sent boxes yet and I feel waiting any longer is pointless .

Thanks to all for taking part .

David

Wingman
05-26-2006, 10:12 PM
David,

Good news. Shad are in the A. No great numbers yet but they are being caught. It will be fun to try out all the different offerings from this swap. Thanks for hosting this one! :)

Wingman

Darian
05-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey everybody,.... Received the package today. Always pleased to recieve a bunch of brightly colored flies. Kinda like a bunch of little clowns. Some interesting patterns included. 8) 8) 8) If the water ever recedes enough when I'm in the area, it'll be fun using them. 8) 8)

Thanks to David for hosting..... :D :D :D

Hairstacker
05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Got mine too!! \:D/ Another great box of flies! Like Darian said, love all the colors and brightness. Thanks everyone and especially to David for hosting! 8)

SullyTM
05-31-2006, 06:45 AM
Shad flies in hand and lookin' to be in the H2O soon. Nice variety of colors! Thanks to David for hosting :D