PDA

View Full Version : Black Flies / Night Fishing

slack_in_the_box
03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone.

Long time no see. :(

I wanted to ask you all what your experience has been with black flies. Do you believe they outcatch other, lighter colored, flies at night in fresh or salt fisheries?

Carp e Diem! :)

Hairstacker
03-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey Rhys, where ye been? :roll: :lol:

I don't have much empirical evidence to back it up, but I've always believed that black bass bugs work better at night than lighter colored ones. Something I've come to believe mostly through years of reading about the subject I guess.

Darian
03-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Hi Rhys,.... The benefits of using black in fly design and in fishing is well established. 8) Black can provide a dark silhouette against a moonlit sky or when used in turbid waters (within limits). 8) There's a very old saying that applies here; "Dark day, dark fly. Bright day, bright fly." :D

I've used that principal in Salmon/Steelhead/Striper//Trout/Black Bass fishing since I was a kid and had a lot of luck over that time. :) Of course, if that's not working, I'm not against changing.... :lol: :lol:

mems
03-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Aloha, I like black flies. I use black clousers and black poppers, and I use a baby black eel. They all work pretty well here in Hawaii. We have a gobi, jumping jack that hangs out in tide pools, and the predators love to whack them. They are effective at low light levels, predawn and then dusk to dark. I don't do that much night fishing except from a boat, and then we have lights on. I don't know if this helps, but ulua (GT's) are kinda like huge saltwater bass, only much meaner. Laterz, Mems.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Black is a very popular color for all fish.

Many believe that black is a good color for low light conditions.

Against the sky, black makes a powerful silhouette.

Hold something black up to the sky or the ceiling.

There are tons of black flies.

Brian
03-09-2006, 11:05 PM
I do fish at night and find that black (or dark) streamers will catch me more fish than lighter colored flies. As for night fishing I just love the hit when I can't see anything. It's exciting when a big brown nails your fly swinging across the current. I'll try swimming mice on top this summer, should really be fun. :twisted:

slack_in_the_box
03-12-2006, 07:57 PM
I tied up some black clousers and deceivers for fishing SD Bay at night. When (if) Spring arrives I usually hit that place regualry for bass,etc. But I am getting to the point where I want to add another variable to the equation - night fishing.

I also have been watching a few holes in the surf at night just waiting for the white sea bass to show up!!!!

So, that's been my interest in black flies as well as the reason I havn't been on the board lately.

BTW, the carp are in pre-spawn so get ready to rope 'em!!!! :D :D

Hey Mike how's it goin!

R