PDA

View Full Version : Sage VT2 SPEY RODS

Martin G
03-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Has anyone tried this rod series yet?I Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Martin G

Gregg
03-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Martin-

At the San Rafael show I casted several of the VT2 single hand rods, and wasn't very impressed. They felt a bit soggy, like they lacked the accuracy and finesse other rods in the price range posessed... I didn't cast the spey series, so they might be radically different. The disco blue finish wasn't overwhelmingly awesome either, but not terrible by any means. If you get a chance, pm Adam Grace. He casts almost every spey rod he can get his hands on and is usually very unbiased in his opinions. I can't remember if he casted the spey VT2, but he can defenitley recommend a great spey rod in your price range. Also, check out the Anderson custom rods. I'm not sure of the pricing, but word around town is that they pretty damn good...

Martin G
03-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Thanks alot Gregg! As a matter of fact, I have a custom anderson rod from Jeff Putnam- the 1316.Anyway, I was thinking of getting another rod in the 8-9 wt range. I wil try to pm Adam for some of his insites as well. Thanks again!

Martin G

I have noticed that you are smoking in your avatar, I'm a cigar aficionado myself and I'm willing to share some of my premium cigars ( i'm taking about the real deal-cigars south of MIAMI) for some on the water fishing time w/ you or anyone who is willing to help me fish the American river or the Yuba( I'm a newbee so I really welcome any fishing tips!) :D

Adam Grace
03-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Martin, I have never cast the VT2 spey rod. My last opportunity was in San Rafael but I never got around to it. In all honesty, I only found out that there was a VT2 spey rod until late in the day. MSP, Gregg and I decided that we'd seen enough and cast enough rods for the day and left for some steak at MSP's house along with great food, great people, a pool table and a frickin beautiful T.V.!

Sorry but I cannot give you any info. Hopefully Jeff Putnam or someone from the shop who has at least shaken the rod can give you some info about the rod.

J.R. Hubbard
03-08-2006, 11:06 AM
It's a price point rod, but having said that the 8wt is a special rod. That things casts as well as any $800 rod does and maybe a bit better. I posted a message about it after the SF show. I don't agree with the sluggish comment at all. I cast it with a windcutter on it and it was clean and responsive.

Gregg
03-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Martin-

I am defenitley into showing you the Yuba, and I would love to partake in the "south of Miami" cigars as well ... :D I live only a few minutes from the Yuba, so when it gets back into shape we'll hit it. I haven't been on the American in a while, but I hear the flows are still high. I'll PM you when it (the Yuba) drops to a reasonable CFS. The river has changed so much it might be a learning experience for both of us!

Martin G
03-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Gregg,

Great!!! PLease just pm me when you think it is good enough to fish Yuba. I will bring a variety of some aged smokes for you to enjoy !

Cheers!

Martin G

Jeff Putnam
03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
The Sage VT2 Spey...
I have cast the 1307 VT2 quite a bit in the last 2 months and have had several students show up to lessons with it. The 1307 is really closer to an 8 than a 7. This will be a good rod for larger steelhead or med size salmon from 8 to 17 lbs, a great Washington, BC rod. The rod does posses a lot of power in the butt with a fast tip. Nice rod for sink tips. New students respond better to this rod with a short belly 8/9 spey line around 550 grains (Rio Windcutter 7-8-9 or deeper load with an 8-9-10, Airflow Delta 7/8). I have cast scandinavian heads on the 1307 and found that the rod likes to be loaded with a line size or two heavier (Airflow Scandi-9/10 worked best for me). I think Sage has addressed the need for more of a "progressive action" spey rod to its spey rod line with the VT2 series. I would like to see a lighter version but this less expensive series does fit well into it's price point.
Swing em' if you got em! jp