03-04-2006, 12:04 PM
NAPA VALLEY FLY FISHERMEN

MARCH 2006 NEWSLETTER

__________________________________________________ __

Meeting And Program

Date: March 9th

Time: 7:00 PM

Place: Aegis Retirement Home 2100 Redwood Rd. Napa

This month Paul Wilms from the Wilms Ranch in Pope Valley will talk about what it takes to setup and maintain healthy fisheries at his ponds in Pope Valley. Paul will also talk about his fishing adventures from around the world.

__________________________________________________ __

Thank You to club member Chino Yip for last months program on Salmon and Steelhead fishing on the Smith River. Chino’s program was especially interesting from the stand point that he had just returned from fishing up there and that his experience on the river spans a long period of time.

__________________________________________________ _

Thank you to member Eric Herve for showing his Heritage Trout Certificate which he earned by completing The Heritage Trout Challenge. Eric is the second member of our club to complete the challenge. You can learn about the program at the following web site.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/AnglerRecognition/HeritageTroutChallenge/HeritageTroutChallenge_0.htm

Please note the new meeting location on Redwood Rd.

__________________________________________________ ___
Club Dinner

The club dinner will take place on Saturday April 8th. It will be held at First Squeeze, 1126 First Street.

I hope that all of our members are making plans to attend the dinner. Numerous items have already been received for the raffle.

Because of seating limitations we have to limit it to 36 people. So get in your reservations now. Last years dinner was a sell out and a huge success with a lot of good camaraderie, food, drink, raffle and auction items. Chino will again be doing the dinner. The cost will be $27.00 per person. Please see flyer or call Ruth at 707 252-7337.

__________________________________________________ ___
President's Message

Hi everybody! I know there's a few people that have been fishing. Pat Watkins is off fishing in Belize on his way to fish the Florida Keys. I suspect what Chino has been up to (thank you for the great presentation on fishing the Smith River last month). Jay Capachi and I tried to fish the Howell Mountain Road side of Lake Hennessey last Thurs., but it's still way too unsettled so we hurried over to Putah and hooked up. Jay (speaker two months ago about fishing Pyramid Lake) said he hooked the biggest fish he's caught in California, and is now 'hooked' on indicator nymphing Putah! Flows were in the mid-400's, but tonight (Thurs the 2nd.) they're way up again. However, I find it hard to believe there will be a great deal more rain this winter, so I think a plan for Putah on Saturday March 18 is a worthwhile gamble. I love this time of year when the flows drop and the trout are silly stupid. Jay hooked up his trophy on a monstrous orange home tie with rubber legs. Bring it on!

Those of you who came to last month's meeting (a BIG turnout by the way) know that I was going fishing at Paul Wilm's ranch the next day (I caught a number of strong fish). Paul will be our speaker this month, speaking on what it takes to successfully manage trout and bass ponds, as well as speaking variously about fishing exotic locations around the world.

We've got some great speakers lined up for the next several months, and a couple of great fish outings planned for summer. We're thinking July for the Catacula Lake Winery family picnic and fish day, and of course we'll have at least one fish derby and picnic at Lake Solano!

I have a club project I'm working on and I'm looking for a carved wood trout. Anybody have one to donate?

I hope to see many of you at Thursday night's meeting, and then in a couple weeks we'll go fishing!

Michael
__________________________________________________ ____

Club Outing

This months outing will be to Putah Creek. Call Michael McKeown for information at 707-337-9410 and let him know if you will be attending the outing. Michael has all of the information on this outing and he can fill you in on what will be needed.

Club's web site:

http://www.napavalleyflyfishermen.com/