PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid

chicoflyguy
03-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Anyone have a Pyramid Lake report, never fished there, any info would be useful.

Darian
03-03-2006, 11:14 PM
The weather over there has been dicey and the trip over isn't worth it until the roadways are clear.... :( :( The fishin's usually good when the weather is overcast and breezy :) (not necessarily rainy/snowing :( ).

At any rate, check out the website for the Reno Fly Shop. They usually update their report on Mondays..... :) :)

www.renoflyshop.com

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Pyramid Lake out of Reno, Nevada is good in the Fall, Winter and Spring for Cutthroat trout from the shore.

Most wade fish it with an aluminum step ladder with feet pads. The ladder allows you to see down in the water like being in a boat and allows you to cast further.

Most use a 9' #7/8 weight rod with a "Teeny type" very fast sinking sink-tip line or a shooting head system.

Use a 7.5" 2x leader with 24" of 2-3x FC tippet material.

Many are still using the traditional large dark woolly worm/woolly bugger with a dropper that has a smaller lighter colored fly. I hear about a floating snail pattern too.

The southwest side is the most popular area.

Having some bad weather can be good especially for the larger fish.

Many fish run 15 to 20 inches and larger. Big fish over 10 pounds are not uncommon.

March/April is very popular now.

JC Peterson
03-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Fished Pyramid Lake Wed., Thur. & Friday of last week. Weather was beautiful, fishing great. Averaged 6-8 fish per day, smallest at 18", majority of fish in the 20" plus range. Fished #8 black, olive, white over black wolly buggers, #10 black or olive damsels & #12 olive perch fry. Float tubed, intermediate line was not as effective as sinking line as fish were just off bottom in 12 to 15ft. of water. Fished various locations on both the west & east (pyramid) sides, fishing was fairly consistent regardless of location. Fishing will only get better after the storms.

Friends fished north & south nets on ladders averaged 4 fish per rod but had to wade deep just to place ladders as the lake is up about 2ft.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the report JC.

chicoflyguy
03-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Thank you guys so much for the info. It is really appreciated.

jayclarkflyfishing
03-05-2006, 09:39 AM
If you fish Pyramid from a float tube please be very careful.The lake can go from glass to heavy seas in a very short period of time.This lake needs to be respected.As far as flies that produce consistantly,I fish #4-#6 black, black/red,black/pink buggers as point then some sort of beetle as dropper(white/chartruse,black /red,black/purple-#8-10)All these are fished on an 9' 8weight with a 250 grain shooting head(sink rate 6ips).Nymphing can also be very productive this time of year.Hope this helps-Jay

Darian
03-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I second Jay's post about respecting Pyramid Lake.... A beginner there should use a float tube close to shore, if at all. :) I've rarely been up there when a wind wasn't blowing. In an article in a long ago fishing magazine, the author described falling off a small, rocky bluff, while portaging a float tube, into the water and spending the night trying to dry out by a fire during winter..... Brrrr!!!! :shock: :shock:

A second article, it may've been the same one altho I can't recall for sure, referred to being out in a float tube at Pyramid when a wind came up and blew the fisherman across the lake to the uninhabited side (11 miles :shock: ). Tribal personnel had to go get him the next day..... 8)

Don't forget to get a tribal fishing permit and pick up a free map (very good one) with the reg's on the back at the Ranger Station in Sutcliffe. You could get these items at the Reno Fly Shop or elsewhere but Sutcliffe is a good place to take in the size of the lake and surrounding area and take stock of current conditions. 8)

Good luck.... :D :D