PDA

View Full Version : good line?

FishyMe
03-02-2006, 11:58 AM
whats a good brand? line for and 7/8 wt rod... will be targeting striper, salmon, steelhead and shad...

thankyou

fineandfar
03-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Rio Steelhead/Atlantic Salmon line. Consider overlining by 1 weight if you are not a very experienced caster (like me :roll: )
This line is a dream to use..
will

jbird
03-02-2006, 05:49 PM
You will be slightly handicaped with just a floating line for the species you want. I'd suggest one of the multitip systems.

Jay

smokeater
03-02-2006, 07:49 PM
What you need is two lines, a floating weight forward line to match your rod outfit and a 225-300 grain sinking line also matched to your rod. Pick up a spare spool for the second line. When you are after steelhead on the AR you will be using your floating line about 90% of the time. When the stripers and shad are running you'll switch to the sinking line. Some people prefer to use a shooting head with a monofilament running line to really huck it out there. With the steelhead you will be dead drifting your flies most of the time. With the stripes you will be casting long and making a strip retreave on the swing, and with shad you will want to swing you flies through the deep tailouts where the schools stack up and just hang on. Shad seem to hit just about anything you put in front of them and and pound for pound will fight harder than almost any other fish of the same size. Once in awhile you can get them on caddis nymphs and dries with a floating line when they are keying off of the caddis hatches in the evening by dead drifting or swinging through the current seam. I usually will tie on a nymph dropper in the evening to see when it comes on. As far as fly selection, for stripers you will want to go with clouser minows in a #6-7 (I think), for shad all you really need is a box full of "wet pinky's". You can play with some other colors and styles but I think you will do better if you stick to the wet pinky's. I just spent the afternoon on the river and it was completely sucktastic, I can't wait for the spring. Oh, about the multi-tip systems, I haven't used them, talk to the guys in the shop and let them know what you plan on using it for, they will be able to help you pick out the best line for the job. A multi-tip line might be easier to work with, especially in variable flows, and changing out the tip to suit your needs might be more convenient than switching spools. I plan on trying it when my sinking line wears out.

PaulC
03-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Airflo has some great lines which I've been using alot in the surf. They have a thin running section which helps on shooting, seem to have less memory issues than the Rio lines I've used in the past. Even clearing the basket every cast I'd still get memory buildup with the Rio striper lines. I'm currently using the 300 grain depthfinder (integrated) on my 8wt and haven't had any problems with distance tangles.

For rivers, however, I think multitip would probably be the way to go. They have a few lines to that regard. I recently tried out their coastal steelhead multitip line which rocked despite having two loop to loop connections. Definitely made it a breeze to match the flows.

Of course, with dead drifting you want a floater. SA makes a real nice steelhead line that I've been using for a while and am happy with. I've heard good things about the Rio nymph line, but have honestly steered clear of Rio after my experiences with their saltwater lines

I guess those are my $.02.
-Paul

Terry Thomas
03-02-2006, 10:00 PM
You might want to check out the Rio Anadromous Advantage tip system. This will give you quite a bit of versatility.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Anadromous Advantage™ Fly Line
From the Rio web site:

Superb all around line for the anadromous fly fisher. Whether you are fly fishing for steelhead in the US or Canada, salmon in Alaska, or searun browns in Europe and Argentina, you can expect changing water conditions that will affect your line choice.

Set up one reel with this line and be ready to adapt to most fishing conditions––instead of purchasing four different reels and four different lines! Each line has a floating body with four different interchangeable 24 ft long tips, including a floating tip, a 7 ft fast sinking (with a 17 ft floating section), a 15 ft fast sinking (with a 9 ft floating section) and a 24 ft density compensated sink tip. Each line weight meets the AFTMA rating.

WF6 Tips - WF10 Tips
Length: 100 ft (30.5 m)
Color: Green Body / Yellow/Black Tips

http://www.rioproducts.com/images/20176-1.jpg

FishyMe
03-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Sounds like the multi tip lines are the way to go.. hey bill ..do you guys carry that specific line that you are referring to?? wow.. i was looking at the price of that rio multi tip line.. it sells for 150???? i know its probably my best bet right now... but is there anything a bit lower.. i'm looking at $50....

thanks for all your input.. much appreciated

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-03-2006, 10:46 AM
You can get a sinktip line that has 24-26 feet of extremely fast sinking material on the end for $55-65.

You need to decide on what individual line you need first.

For all theses fish I guess a "Teeny type" really fast 200-250-300 grain sinktip is the most popular.

If you call the shop and tell one of our staff exactly what rod you have they can help you.

If you live near the shop just bring in your rod and reel.

We carry all the different sintip tips in stock.