PDA

View Full Version : Chota Wading Boots

Tony Buzolich
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
I just got a sample of Chota's STL Plus boot to try and was wondering how some of you guys like this for wading?

The boot really looks good, has a synthetic felt sole with optional studs, and seems extremely well made.

My concern is about the speed lacing.

This looks to be a weak link. The lacing is nothing more than a skinny elastic cord with a pinch clip at the top to take up the slack as you tighten them.

How do you guys like them and how long have you used them?

Thanks ahead, TONY

David Lee
03-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi Tony .

I've used them for three years now .... only blown one lace . The studs are a little lame (mine are all rounded now , and need replacement) .

By and large ... I like 'em .

David :D

Michael Baker
03-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi tony, Got a pair last year before going to Montana. I've got a pinched nerve in my foot and needed something more comfortable. The Chota's are great. No problems with the laces. Cinch up quickly and stay tight. A friends had a pair since they came out and he loves them too.

Mike

Lee Haskin
03-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi Tony,

I love my Chotas. They are best fitting boot I've ever had. Big toe box, which is my complaint about most brands.
One of the "laces" failed right away, but the other seems fine. Go figure.
Studs are great and easy to replace.
:)

$.02

Cheers,
Lee

Tony Buzolich
03-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Glad to hear a few more of you guys have them and like them.

The laces were the only thing I had doubts about. They seemed like little bungie cords that wouldn't hold up worth a darn. I did contact Chota direct and they said regular laces could be used in place of the elastic speed-laces.

Guess I'll have to give'm a try. Thanks guys,
TONY

AndreD
03-14-2006, 11:57 PM
I must be the only one with a different experience with them. I have had them (STL+) for about 31/2 years. After 6 mos, the stitching around the heel came apart, they were repaired by Chota. I have also had each of the heels fall apart after days of wading. I replaced those after paying for the heels myself (a friend had his repaired by warranty). The only other issue I have with them is when you use all the studs, they tend to be aweful slick on the rocks around here, particulary on the Yuba and LSAC. Feels like skating sort of. But if they have to bite, they will cut through the muck and moss. I have since replace them with regular sheet metal screws with seem to bite better on the clean rocks. Using them without the studs, the felt seems just as slick since there are the plastic studs.

I will agree that they are pretty comfy and my speed laces are just now starting to wear thin.

Andre