PDA

View Full Version : your REEL opinion

alaskanfish
03-01-2006, 04:37 PM
I am looking to update/upgrade my equipment. Specifically looking at 6-7wt reels for large rainbows, small salmon (fresh water, but big water; i.e. Kenai River, etc). What do you consider the top of the line and why?

J.R. Hubbard
03-01-2006, 05:54 PM
I love these reels! They are reliable, they have easy to change spools and they aren't overpriced. I also love the drag system, the dial is easy to gage how much more or less drag you are adding.

http://www.galvanflyreels.com/torque.html

Gregg
03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
I just picked up a Ross CLA, and I am extremely impressed. The drag feels smooth, the reel is light, and the price won't make you choke! :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/gjshaw/misc/reelsbigCLA.jpg

check them out here: http://rossreels.com/products/cla/cla.cfm

Bill Markwood
03-01-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm a bid fan of Galvan reels too. I have 3 different models and couldn't be happier with them. Plus, they're made locally in Sonora.

Terry Thomas
03-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Top of the line...if price is not an issue, Tibor and Abel are two to consider. They have both been around many years and fished in fresh and salt water all over the world. I cannot ever hearing about any problems with either of these reels. If you want to save a couple hundred dollars then you might take a look at the new Nautilus reels. The drags on these reels are outstanding. That's my 2 cents worth.
T.

sculpin
03-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Let's make part of this question about reels take into consideration how they perform after a good dunking. Does the drag change ? It seems when I fish rivers my reel always take a dunk and so do I evey so often.

Mark

Jay Murakoshi
03-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Well, here's my .02 cents worth. I have been playing around with the new Loomis East Fork reel. I have the 5/6 and the 7/8. All three models have the Shimano drag system and they are smooth. The 7/8 is going to get a workout in a couple months down in Baja.
Pricewise, they are under $200.00.
I'm sure Bill will have them in the shop

Jay

Paul B.
03-01-2006, 10:17 PM
I've been using a Ross Canyon 4 for a while and I am very happy with it. It's as smooth as they get and takes a lot of abuse. I don't think you will find better for the price. No changes after dunkins noted. Paul

aaron
03-01-2006, 11:09 PM
The Loomis Eastfork might be hard to beat for the price. I'd check out the nautilus featherweight too.

bolden
03-01-2006, 11:13 PM
I'll just say I love my Ross Evolution.

bp
03-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Alaskan

want to second the Galvan recommendation. as the result of a mis-hap on the Big Horn I would rather not mention, had to replace my entire 5wt outfit (ouch). Have really enjoyed my the Galvan OB that I have on my 3wt so I went with the Galvan Rush which had just been introduced at the time.

the Rush uses the same guts as the Torque but less fancy so - cheaper and just a hint heavier. Looks great, feels great, works great, great value and made in the good ole US of A. (California is still in the Union right?)

Like Sculpin, I don't think that you really know a river until you have fallen into it :lol: so this reel has performed equally well after a good dowsing. Just purchased another for a new 6wt rig, funny enough, specifically for the Kenai and other heavier trout-type options. It's going on a new 10' 6wt rod which I will be buying today at Bill's place.

Can't wait to bang some big rainbows between Skeelak and Bings this summer.

My 2 cents is that you cannot go wrong with this reel in the low $200's.

bp

Darian
03-02-2006, 09:10 AM
I really have a difficult time responding to this.... :? :? I guess the only answer is that of all the reels that I currently own, there's only one that I use, consistently. That reel is the Pflueger 1495 1/2. 8) 8) Started using them in 1968 for Steelhead/Salmon on the coast and haven't looked back. Haven't gotten anything big as David has on his but have landed fish up to 22-24 lbs on it. 8) :D

J.R. Hubbard
03-02-2006, 09:36 AM
For the record, my Galvan spent the night at the bottom of the N Fork of the Yuba(don't ask) river and still is perfect. I also have a couple of Abel reels and a Tibor. If it was salt water, I would say Tibor. Abel is supposed to be the best but mine make noise. I've oiled them, sent em back and had them rebuilt, but they squeak! Oh and did I mention that the able is about $200 more!!
Support you local fly shop and support you local reel maker!!

alaskanfish
03-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. This is great information.

Darian, I hear you! I have a Pfleuger Medalist, "knuckle bustin'" !*#%@ reel on my 8 wt. Though the mechanical drag is very weak, the "thumb" drag has worked wonders on King Salmon up to 35 pound! All that being said, this reel is bombproof! I don't think they make them like they used to however...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Ed,

Since you are a guide in AK we can get you a 'real deal' on anything.

I would try one of those new G.Loomis 'East Fork' 7/8 reels by Shimano.

They are $185 but the pro guide price would be way less.

Just let me know what you need usless you already have a connection for it.

KurtJ
03-02-2006, 11:41 AM
First, let me say I am a local and I am fishing the same fish you are.
Second, I own Abels, Lamsons, Galvan, Penn but my suggestion would be Ross Big Game 4. I have this reel on a 6wt that I use for everything except larger salmon up here. I love my Lamsons, that would be my second choice, but the drag on the Big Game is superior. Very smooth start up and as much as you want/need. I don't think any of my other reels have both(maybe the Penn). I think the Big Game has better features internally than Ross's other models; it is a very low maintance reel. It is a little less expensive than the Abels and the high end Lamsons.
Anyway that's my $.02.
Maybe I see you on the river this summer.

Rick J
03-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Someone else mentioned the Ross BG series. I have a couple of the bigger end versions (BG7 and BG8) for spey lines and love these reels. Another great reel are the Bauers. I have three of the original M series that have run smooth for the last 10 years - from freshwater to the salt!

SteelieD
03-02-2006, 07:23 PM
I LOVE my Ross's! Evolution for my 6 wt. and a Colorado for my 4. Awsome reels.