PDA

View Full Version : baja yellowtail

CPasley
02-27-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm heading to baja in a couple weeks and have never been this time of year. Sounds like yellowtail will be going good, but not sure how deep I need to get or if there are some specific flies for those fish. I'm bringing a 12Wt sage with a deep sea tip and intermediate. Have caught bonito and skipjacks down there before....is it much different for yellowtail? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Muchas Gracias,
Chris

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi Chris,

Go to Dan Blanton's message board and ask the same question.

I remember that years ago those San Jose Fly Casters guys would go to Baja in February for Yellowtail.

I remember they use to put on 200' of Amnesia and a 30' lead head. They would let it all out and vertical jig for them about 200' down.

It did not sound like exciting fly fishing to me.

PaulC
02-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey Chris,
Gary had a great recent report on his board recently which might add a little insight.
http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2700
Definitely one toad of a fish on fly for sure.
There are alot of Baja addicts on that board which may be able to add more info to your research.
-Paul

Darian
02-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey Chris,..... There aren't many accounts of taking yellowtail on a fly near the surface. :? I'm with Bill.... It's mainly casting leadcore long, lengthy waits for gaining depth and a jigging type retrieve..... 8) 8) Nothing I've read indicates anything different.... Tho, there're always exceptions to the rule. :?

In addition to the website mentioned by Paul C., try www.bajafly.com. This is a website for Gary Graham who posts the Baja report on this BB. 8)

Good luck down there and be sure to give us a report.... :D :D

CPasley
02-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like I won't be targeting yellowtail with a fly, but will definitely be throwing flies at whatever else is near the surface. Got some great info off the websites you all have provided on species of fish and fly patterns.

We are driving down with my buddy's boat to an area a few hours south of Loreto. Then launching and boating out to a camp on an island where he has been going for 8 years. He has never considered a fly rod down there and I think he's been making a big mistake. Hopefully I will be able to convince him that conventional tackle is not the only way to go. Yeah, maybe for yellowtail, but there's one hell of a lot more going on down there than deep sea action. Will be there for a full week of fishing and will give you a report when I get back.

Muchas Gracias!
Chris

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Chris,

You might call Fred Gordon.

Several times Fred did drive down with a pickup with a cab-over camper and a 14' aluminum boat many years ago in the winter and fish all over Baja.

530-235-2673

jbird
03-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Carl

I have heard of this. I believe its spring. It lasts for 2 to 4 weeks. You can actual visibly locate them on the surface.

J

CPasley
03-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks Carl! I checked her website and it sounds like we will be very close to the spawn time, which could mean some surface action. Tons of good reports and info on that site. Will let you know how it pans out. Thanks again.

Bill - I have not called Fred yet. Do you think he is back from his usual winter marathon vacation by now? BTW, steelheading is quite good on our local river and I've heard very good reports from the Ronde as well. Primarily indicator type fishing though at this time of year (cold water).

Chris