PDA

View Full Version : Striper Knots

koffler
02-27-2006, 12:20 PM
For trout fishing, etc I usually use a bllod knot or improved cinch knot to attach the leader to the fly. For stripers and streamer fishing for trout I want to try a new knot that would impart more movement to the fly; I imagine some knot using a loop. Can anyone nominate such a knot that still has high strength in relation to the size tippet/leader being used?

Richard
02-27-2006, 06:46 PM
I would suggest you consider the non slip loop (sometimes called the non slip mono knot). It's very easy to tie and is supposed to be quite strong. Here is a link where you can see how it is tied.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkknots/index1.html

Katz
02-27-2006, 06:58 PM
I strongly agree with the knot mentioned above. With a clouser there seems to be a lot more movement with a knot that allows the fly to "slip" resulting in more takes..

Katz

Hairstacker
02-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Yep, that's the loop knot I use when I want the fly to have freedom of movement. As with any knot, but particularly this one, it is critical that you snug it up REALLY tight or it WILL slip. And the way it's designed, when it slips, it will pull the tag end through and undo the knot! Very important to test each and every one of these thoroughly before you fish 'em.

Adam Grace
02-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I use the Lefty Kreh non-slip loop, very good knot.

jbird
02-27-2006, 11:30 PM
I use the Lefty Kreh non-slip loop, very good knot.

Thats the one I use too. If you can tie a clinch knot, this one's a breeze.

J

Darian
02-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Hey guys,.... I've been using the Kreh' non-slip loop knot, myself. 8) Another knot I highly recommend is the Palomar Knot. Results in a non-slip loop and very easy to tie. Very strong as well.... :) :)

Hairstacker
02-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Very interesting that all six of us thus far all use the Kreh nonslip loop knot. . . .

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-28-2006, 10:04 AM
I think everyone uses that knot but I have heard of a few variations.

SullyTM
02-28-2006, 10:24 AM
...been using the same knot more and more. Professor Lee introduced me to this knot last year on the American. I got a B- the first few knots I tied...but I've since moved to a B+ :lol:

Later...

koffler
02-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the input.

David Lee
02-28-2006, 05:43 PM
...been using the same knot more and more. Professor Lee introduced me to this knot last year on the American. I got a B- the first few knots I tied...but I've since moved to a B+ :lol:

Later...

Hmmmmm .... that reminds me ....

You and a fellow from Tracy are due for a trip up thisaway pretty quick - I have EVIL plans in store :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

For the record , the two knots I use for fly to tippet are the Kreh loop and the Trilene knot . Even with wire bites .

David

bp
03-02-2006, 06:42 AM
gents(?)

tied that knot a couple of times and mine leave a pretty distinct angle in the loop relative to the main line. is this typical or am i just lame (my Alaska fishing buddies always think the latter)??

any hints on getting this straight? also, the notes on the web site suggest no smaller than size 12 hook. what knot do you guys use when you have to fish the 18-24 stuff like midge pupas and BWO nymphs.

much appreciation for your help.

bp

Adam Grace
03-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Bp, The Kreh loop is not really designed for flies that small but for larger saltwater sized flies. As far as getting the loop straight, only pull with the tag end AND I generally help the wraps get tighter by the use of my thumb or finger - by pushing the wraps together as I pull on the tag end to cinch the wraps down. One key to the knot is draw the primary overhand knot as small as possible, then when you thread the tag end through the eye of the hook make sure the overhand knot is touching the eye of the hook. By the time you finish the knot the loop will be just far enough away from the hook to work well and your loop will not be huge.

Sorry but that's hard to describe, better shown in person.

bp
03-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks Adam.

What do you guys use for the little stuff, dry and nymph? I am an improved clinch knot guy today. Seems to work well. Don't get busted off unless I get lazy and tie a poor one (often) and it's pretty easy to tie on most hook and tippet sizes.

bp

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Lefty Kreh promoted the 'Non-slip Loop Knot' because he knew it was important to the sport.

Most use it for more action in the fly allowing the fly to swim more easily on the end of the tippet.

For salt water and Striper fishing locally it is very popular now.

It also allows people to cast heavier flies for a longer length of time without knot fatigue. If you tie a big heavy fly on with a cinch knot it will get weaker as you cast and finally break or fall off. Kind of like bending a piece of metal back and forth till it breaks.

For small trout flies most still use the improved clinch/cinch knot.

Hairstacker
03-03-2006, 12:12 PM
For the little stuff, nymph and dry, I'm a uni-knot man mayself. Just something I'm used to.