PDA

View Full Version : American report , 2-24-2006

David Lee
02-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Greetings , Savages - :evil:

Heartened by Striper reports from the lower river .... I wandered out for a go today .

After throwing Smolts fast/slow/deep/shallow , switched to swinging a bugger .... then , became one w/ a Sculpin on leadcore (lots of focus involved in doing that ....) .

Got a big ol' NUTHIN' in that icy-cold river . As I suspected , the water was around 50 degrees , maybe even lower . I have never had a Stripe bite in water below 56 , so it looks like a few more weeks (MONTHS ?!?) . Flows high and frightening at 4000 CFS , vis. perhaps two feet . If they're eating flies ...... must be the ones I DON'T have :twisted: :!: :twisted: !!

Oh , yeah - wear sunblock .

David

Tony Buzolich
02-24-2006, 07:23 PM
David, David, David, don't you know by now you need "Moon-block" to catch those wiley stripers.

If you're still using that sun screen stuff and fishing at the same time, you'll always have a hard time of it.

These early guys are very sensitive to noise and bright lights.

Watch you e-mail,
TONY

Hairstacker
02-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi David! Sorry to hear you didn't get 'em on this one, sure sounds like you made an honest effort. With the weather warming up, won't be long now before we start hitting on some smallies, eh?

SullyTM
02-26-2006, 01:36 PM
SKUNKED!!!! I don't get it? You weren't "rowing" were you Mr. Lee? Glad you're out...must mean all the unpacking has been completed. BIG storm heading inland for Northern California...Button down the hatches! Thom

David Lee
02-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Failure was to be expected .

Remember two or three years ago ?? I figured I'd catch a stripe during winter ...... Went out at least twice a week , sometimes 4 or 5 times . Never even got a touch !! The big resident fish were no where to be found , and the first of the spring fish didn't show until the last week of March .

I simply have to accept that I cannot make 'em bite in cold water .

No biggie ..... I have the boat up , so I can fish the Feather , big Sac. , and the port , as well as the A. this season . and the secret spots .... and the coast .... and the lakes ....... and .....

All is not lost yet :evil: :evil: :evil:

David :D

Wingman
02-26-2006, 06:12 PM
David,

I do enjoy your posts here! :D
Since there is still some time before the Striper bite heats up on the 'A' what should I be tying? :twisted:

David Lee
02-26-2006, 07:07 PM
David,

I do enjoy your posts here! :D
Since there is still some time before the Striper bite heats up on the 'A' what should I be tying? :twisted:

Hi Wingman !

Early season .... Smolts and Parr - #6 to #4/0 (anything that looks like a dink Rainbow or little Salmon) . Remember , the early Stripes are dumb as rocks and slow due to cold water .... they haven't been fished over for a while , so they aren't as spooky as summer fish . Also , you will have a shot at the BIG ones (up to over 50 lbs.) , so choose your tackle with a bit of thought . :idea:

Late May thru July ...... Small Suckers , Squawfish , Crawdads - Shad will be in , and when Stripe switches to eating them .... GOOD LUCK getting them to eat a fly . Hard to immitate a three pound Shad with flies . Cool , highwater years will see them still keying on Smolt Rainbows and 1/2 lbrs. ( had one in the 45-50 lb. range eat a 18 inch Steelhead off my line a few years ago ... :shock: ) .

August thru November ..... Tough hunting for the resident monsters . With late summer/fall here , you can sight-fish Stripe anywhere you can get ABOVE the water to see them .

Tye whatever you want to , I don't really think fish care as much as we do .

David :oops: