PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for Mexico...

Gregg
02-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Looks like were headed back down to Puerto Vallarta for another couple of weeks in either May or July. I already have an 8wt Scott A2 / Tioga setup for inshore, but am hoping to tackle bonito, smaller dorado & football sized yellowfin as well. I'm not going to go nuts on a ultra high end outfit, but definitley not going to skimp either. I've been very pleased with the A2, but want to make sure that whatever I buy can handle what I'm targeting. Luckily finding fish is never a problem in PV, just keeping them on the line! I'm hoping for suggestions here on a new rod/reel combo from those who know... Thanks in advance for any advice!!! :D

jbird
02-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Gregg

I have the 10' 7wt A2. It is a steelhead machine. Especially uplined with an 8wt Rio steelhead taper.

How much are you wanting to spend? I would say a 10wt system would fit the bill for what you want. You could assemble a very good package for under $600. My first choice for quality and price would be the TFO TiCrX matched with the TFO LA reel... pretty bullet proof. The Redington cps is a great rod too for about the same price. The redington brakewater reel is also a good choice in the same price range. The Brakewater has a cork drag while the TFO is carbon. I have had and heard of those unsealed cork drags hydroplaning and become unpredictable when they get wet. I am realy excited about the TFO LA reels. Ive got one on my #8 ticrx and cant wait to test it on something nasty :wink: Ive caught a few steelhead on it and it worked perfect. The real test will be jacks and skippies.....June seems so far off.

Jay

Gregg
02-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Jay-

The A2 has been the go to rod for my steelhead fishing, and I am leaning toward it for the 10wt as well. I think I'm gonna cast a few still, however, just to remind myself of how much I dig the A2! :lol: For the rod, I'd like to keep the retail price under $350, and under $300 for the reel. I've checked out the TFO (my 1st "real" fly rod was a TFO a few years ago) and some Redingtons and they seem fine, I get a "cheap" vibe from them but I know it's just in my head. I've heard nothing but good things about both TFO and Redington, so I'll definitley keep them as an option. For the reel, I am hoping to find something durable. In PV there is nothing close to a flyshop, so if anything fails, I'm hosed. I defintley don't need anything for status acknowledgement (like the Abels), but I want to be sure that whatever I buy can handle some serious abuse... Thanks for the info!

-Gregg

jbird
02-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Gregg

The thing to do some research on is lifting power. Even football sized tuna can put a serious hurt on a rod. My A2 does evrything I want in steelhead and big trout and even coho, But I question its lifting power in a straight up & down slugfest. The other problem with Scott rods is repair/replacement turnaround time. It is always a minimum of 6 weeks with those guys and an average of 10 weeks! They are bar none, the slowest customer service in the rod industry. The word is that theyre a bunch of fishing bums, just like us. And they'll get to your rod when they get to it....there is some charm to that...but 10 weeks!?
I would trust my 8wt ticrx TFO on a fish twice the size of anything I'd like hooked to my A2. Tho I much prefer to cast the Scott. The cps is a lot of rod for the money, but lifting power is a big question on that rod too.

If I spot a sail fish and have a chance at it and all I have is a ticrx 10 wt. The word "maybe" would be tagged to the equation. If I had a 10wt A2 the word would be "No friggin way!"

Dan Blanton has been testing the redington brakewater pretty hard for the last few years. Everytime someone asks him about quality, powerful, affordable reels, the brakewater is always his first recommendation. He is really been impressed with the TFO LA reel too and suggests it right along with the Redington. I have a brakewater in both 10 and 12wt. and they are VERY good reels for saltwater game. I think the TFO is actually going to be even better. The carbon fibre disc drag is similar to the carbon fibre used in indi car brakes and disipate heat like nothing else. I also like the non ported reel housing on the TFO. Its like the Tibors, you can lay the reel down in the sand without a problem. Heres a link to the TFO.
http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/RogueAngler/prodinfo.asp?number=48SP1006

And the brakewater
http://www.redington.com/Products/Product.aspx?pid=108

Jay

sculpin
02-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Greg as Jbird mentions the TFO rods are great for the price. I opted for the new Sage/ Redindton CPS rod in 10wt and 12wt because it is a much lighter rod. I hear it is very similar to the Sage XP. Another midrange rod that should be looked at is the Albright . Echo is another rod many like. I have a 10' 6wt that has caught a bunch of steelhead but for me is a little heavy because my shoulder has an old injury so I like the light rods. I am also shopping for another reel to be used for Salt and Spey.I have a Redington Brakewater which is a great reel as long as it doesn't get dunked. From what I am finding the cork drags are best for mean fish but will slip when wet. This rules out a bunch of reels for me because when using it as a Spey reel it will be getting wet and a cork drag for me will have to be sealed.
Hopefully you'll get a lot of feed back on this and we can all learn.

Mark

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Gregg,

I would cast every 10 weight you can that is under $400 USD. I would cast them with a WF11F.

The new Sage VT2 is about $400.
The Redington CPS is only $279.
The Scott A2 is $295.
The TFO TiCr X is $249.
The Loomis Cross Current GL3 is $349.

(We have new a Sage VPS 9' #10- 4 piece Reg $400 for $249????)

Waterworks 'Litespeed 4' is $379
Galvan 'Rush 10' is $300
Redington 'Breakwater 10' is $259
Ross 'Big Game Canyon 6' is $450
'Nautilus 10' is $450
Teton 'Tioga Magnum 12' is $195

Lots of choices.....................