PDA

View Full Version : MidCurrent Newsletter

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-22-2006, 10:16 AM
MidCurrent Weekly Newsletter February 22, 2006

Greetings!

IT WAS WITH no small degree of alarm that I hung up the phone after a chat with a long-time client who said that he was spending most of his time in Montana carp fishing. After all, this guy was at the top of the heap when it came to stalking bonefish and laid-up tarpon and had even introduced me to the intricacies of fishing gulpers on Hebgen Lake.

"Yeah," he said. "Carp are damned tough."

But just when I was ready to move on to a more digestible topic he set the hook: "And there's no one fishing for them."

OK, so you can probably guess that we've avoided talking about carp for as long as we could. But recently writer Zach Matthews offered us “Screwball Looks, Lonely Places” and after reading it we decided we'd better get with the program.

in this issue

“Screwball Looks, Lonely Places”
Week's Top Fly Fishing News
Anatomy of a Hatch
Gear: Make a Leaf Bucket Stripping Basket
"The Inside Scoop"

Week's Top Fly Fishing News

Bird Flu Forces Tiers to Go Synthetic
Kurt Gowdy Dies
You're Only As Good As Your Hook Point
Real Fly Fishers Drink Hot Tea
Florida Coasts Battle Web of Water Mismanagement

Read the MidCurrent News...

Anatomy of a Hatch

THERE ARE FEW PHENOMENA on a river that excite fly anglers more than a strong hatch. In fact, many fishermen describe their trips to the water more in terms of the insects than the fish. Consider a trip I made to the Missouri River last summer. When someone asked how the fishing was, I inevitably described it by saying, "Well, the morning started with an awesome hatch of tricos. A few PMD's came off in the early afternoon, and the evening caddis hatch was amazing." For many of us, the quality of the hatch has as much to do with our feeling about a day's fishing as do the number and size of fish.

Read more...

Gear: Make a Leaf Bucket Stripping Basket

ANYTHING THAT MAKES saltwater fly fishing easier gets my attention, and when Keith Tennant, a tarpon guide from Venice Florida, showed me this deal three years ago, I could see the tremendous potential, and refined Keith's original idea a bit to come up with the "Ultimate Stripping Basket" for your boat.

Read on...

"The Inside Scoop"

MOST FLY FISHERMEN are so intent on their own processes — making the right cast, mending correctly, and watching the fly or strike indicator — that they don't bother to observe what the other anglers on the river are doing. When you work as a fishing guide, however, you spend a lot of time, without a rod in your hand, watching other people fish. It's an interesting experience, because you get to see many different angling styles — some good, some not so good — and you develop a keen eye for anticipating the most common mistakes that fly fishermen make. If you can keep your client from committing one of these angling sins, he's got a better chance of catching fish.

Read on...

“Screwball Looks, Lonely Places”

TEN YEARS AGO, maybe even fifteen, you’d have gotten a strange look if you mentioned flyfishing for carp anywhere this side of the Atlantic. Since then, carp seem to have become the species everyone feels obliged to mention at least once. You see carp in magazines, in books, even on the occasional flyfishing television show.

Although some of these articles and books have been very good, carp have still managed to slip under the radar of the American angling public.

Read on....

Quick Links...
Newsletter Archive