PDA

View Full Version : Need some fly-fisher's therapy

Ben-doc
02-21-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm looking for areas within an hour or so of Davis where I can wade and fly-fish for smallmouth. I moved to Davis from the midwest in August and have been fishing several times on Putah Creek and the lower Sac since. Been skunked at Putah three times now, and up in Redding on the Sac twice (yesterday included). I've only been fishing for a little over a year now, so my inexperience plays a part in that. What I'm really looking for is a place where I can practice and catch some fish while I'm at it! Nothing against trout, but they don't seem to like me too much lately. :( Any suggestions?

Darian
02-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Man,.... You're livin' at the epicenter of fishin' for warmwater species in Kaleeforneeya..... I'm here to pomp you up!!!.... :roll: :roll:

First, I'd advise getting some good maps of the area (showing some detail). Make notes on them for successes and failures..... 8)

OK, here's some places to start for Smallmouths within an hour of Davis. You've already tried Putah Cr. So, go above the dam to Lake Berryesa. Also, try Cache Cr. The Feather, Sacramento and Yuba Rivers, Thermalito Afterbay. Merle Collins (Oregon House), Lake Oroville, Bullards Bar and Englebright Reservoirs. Camp Far West, Rollins, Folsom and Natomas Reservoirs. 8) 8)

This is by no means a comprehensive list of waters containing Smallies; just places to start that'll keep you busy for several years.... Then you can branch out..... :wink: :lol:

Brian
02-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Ben-Doc contact the Davis Fly Fishers http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/go/ffd/, (contact the webmaster John) they have a trip scheduled twice a year to go up to Payne ranch where there are 4 ponds loaded with smallmouth. They tend to make it a bit of a hike heading in on a trail that climbs up over a serious hill and circle around past 3 ponds with a 4th just out of view on the way back to the cars. The easiest access is off of Hwy 20 a couple of miles west of where Hwy 16 intersects it. It will be at a bend in the road shortly after the road adds a passing lane as you start to go uphill. there is a immiediate turnoff on the left (be carefull of downhill traffic). From the parking just follow the trail down for a mile or so and you will come across the first pond. Continuing down trail head right after the "Roadkill Cafe" and up and over the next hill for about 1.5 miles to the next pond which lies below the trail on the right. further along the same trail will take you past the largest pond with the most fish (a float tube would be excellent if you have the willingness to carry it this far) ringed mostly with Tules making access difficult. Another mile further will take you within site of the last pond before the trail curves back down a hill and takes you to Hwy 16 after you cross Bear creek. Hope these directions help. On a good day you can catch and release well over a hundred smallies. Oh!, and camping is allowed so you can make it into a near home overnight weekend trip.

Ben-doc
02-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll head up to Cache creek/Bear creek on Saturday and explore, maybe make it to Payne's. How did I not know there was a Davis fly-fishing club!? I bet that's a gold-mine of information.

Sin Coast
02-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Try Berryessa for sure. Especially the rocky area on the south side of the entrance to Spanish Flat marina. I caught a 4lb 12oz smallie there while troling a muddler minnow deep in my float tube! Fight of a lifetime but kinda wish I had the sense to let him go---I would definitely release one that big now. Best time is mid march. Anything that looks like a crawdad will work. I think I caught about 15 smallies from 1-4lbs in 2 hours that day. I must have been over a school---just outside the SF marina, over that submerged island.
(-:
PK

andanb
02-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Ben Doc, This Saturday evening is the Davis fly fishers annual dinner. This would be a great chance to get to know the club as well as some members. You might also win some nice raffle prizes. The contact person is on the web site given to you above. Maybe I'll see you there.