PDA

View Full Version : Musings of a Fishing Show Rookie

bonneville54
02-20-2006, 04:52 PM
The Fly Fishing Show (as attended by a rookie)

After shoveling 7” of snow on from the driveway Saturday, I thought a trip to the Fly Fishing show in San Rafael might be just the ticket to get me out of my little snowbound hell. You know what? It was.

This was my first fly fishing show and to one who is used to massive industry trade shows where every sense is overwhelmed and violated from the moment you enter the hall, the fly fishing show is a model of restraint and decorum. Almost every attendee (including myself) was dressed in that rather drab, understated, yet technically correct clothing of the affluent outdoor traveler. Many folks wore ballcaps advertising some thing or another -My cap, by the way, celebrated USC’s win over Texas in the Rose Bowl :D - and all of them in the subtle earth tones of the fly fishing set.

I attended Sunday, the last day of the show, and often trade show employee’s are giddy and bored at the same time having repeated the mantra of their company over and over for 3 days, and yet everyone was pleasant and kind, eager to explain to this wide eyed rookie everything they could about their products or service. I was particularly taken by the kindness and respect (at least on the surface) that the sales folks showed for their competitors. Rather refreshing.

It was easy to stop in every booth and I did. I impressed by the overall quality of the products at the show, the beautiful handmade rods, the stunning machining of the reel and tool companies. I was able to cast a bunch of different rods, including a spey rod and no one clucked or tsk tsked my lack of casting elegance. I watched with devotion bordering on tears some of the fly tiers and the ease of their skill. But it was inspiring too, as many had fingers as fat as mine. I absolutely lusted after a cane rod and it felt good because for me, there is no rational reason to own one….except that may be the best reason of all.

Negative’s? just a couple….some of the “sale” items didn’t really seem to be priced that way and that reinforced my idea that we Americans won’t buy anything unless it says…..SALE! The other niggle was the seeming lack of young people at the show. Quite a few dad’s and kids, but I’m talking about the 20 and 30 something’s. A few in the booths, to be sure, but there was a lot of grey hair walking the aisles. Perhaps this is an observation on the cost of this activity, I don’t know. Bill, do you think the show is reflective of your shops demographic? Just wondering.

As Harry Middleton wrote…”the cost of happiness is going up…”

Rob
02-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Its a shame that more kids don't F.fish or dads don't take them. :(
Kids learn very fast as long as they are not bored.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/California%20Flyfishing/Dscn0059.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/California%20Flyfishing/DSCN0036.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/California%20Flyfishing/codysbigfish.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/California%20Flyfishing/Jasonfirst.jpg

JC Peterson
02-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Man that's age discrimination, remember dirty old men need hobbies too!

Seriously, this year I worked all three shows - San Mateo, Sacramento & San Rafael. The ISE shows at San Mateo & Sacramento are more inclusive covering hunting/fishing/boating/outdoor/camping/4wd/etc. & more heavily emphasize hardware type fishing. These shows ran 4 days & average 9 hours a day, closing at 9pm. Only one hall was dedicated to fly fishing which also houses many all inclusive guides/outfitters (i.e. those not necessarily dedicated to fly fishing). Your observation is correct that these shows seem to appeal to a younger crowd (i.e. 20-30-40's). My observation is that attendence was down considerably at San Mateo & up slightly at the Sacramento show.

The San Rafael show is dedicated singularly to Fly fishing & associated guide/oufitters. The show runs 3 days & average 7 hours a day, closing earlier around 6pm. Also, there was at least two booths dedicated to women flyfishers. Interestingly there was lower attendence on Friday & Sunday by predominatley a more mature crowd. Saturday was very busy & attended by a younger/more diverse crowd (i.e. more inclusive of the 20-30-40 age group).

I belong to a local fly fishing club, Granite Bay Flycasters which includes a youth group. Our membership is comprised both individual & family memberships. I would say that the composition of attendence on Saturday was not very different than our club. All things being equal your observations is correct; fly fishing does appeal to the older sportsman. My feeling is that fly fishing is a more inclusive endeavor, i.e. much more than just catching fish, not to mention conservation, friendship & working to assure that these atrubutes remain for generations to come.

Darian
02-20-2006, 10:13 PM
I wonder how much our concern about participation in fly fishing by youth is basically unwarranted :?: :?: IMHO, fly fishing is expensive; both to begin and to continue.... If one takes up fly tying, there's an additional expense.... Young adults are beginning families and having a hard time finding a home they can afford to buy and inflationary pressures aren't making that any easier. :(

Young adults are trying to avoid getting their collective butts shot off in places like Afghanistan, Iraq, So. Korea and, potentially, Iran... :shock: :shock: Their priorities/realities are very different than ours. 8) 8) 8)

We, Also, have to admit that our numbers include a number of people who enjoy the ethical, mystical, technical sides of all this activity so much that they become Guru's... I'm not sure that's the way to get through to youngsters or young adults (at least not those that I've known).

Most of these people will come around to fly fishing in their own time when their realities change to allow them the time and money to do so. All we have to do is guarantee them a place to enjoywhen that time arrives. 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Welcome 'bonneville54',

I think that our business is mainly men and most are probably 30 to 70ish.

Lots of young fathers probably don't have the time or money to really go at the sport full bore.

Seems like when we get about 50 our kids are more independent and we can have some time to spoil ourselves a little.

Fly fishing is not for everyone. Maybe that is why it is so special to us.

PS: why 'bonneville54'? Car? or Salt Flats?

bonneville54
02-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Lots of young fathers probably don't have the time or money to really go at the sport full bore.

PS: why 'bonneville54'? Car? or Salt Flats?

I think that statement is probably true.

Lucky for me, I married into a fly fishing family and it was learn or no inheritance :D I've been fooling my father-in- law with my lousy double haul for 25 years now. :wink: Who, BTW, at 82 years old loves the sport more than ever and can out cast me every time.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the show. I found the folks in the booths and those demonstrating to be kind and, best of all, passionate. It couldn't help but rub off. What may be nice about this demographic is the maturity of it's members...this allows, perhaps, the transfer of knowledge without ego or pretention. I felt it at the show and it was nice......really.

There are exceptions, of course. :lol:

bonneville54? I'm an old fart motorcyclist and the 1969 Triumph Bonneville was my first bike. Born in 1954....not too clever.

John

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-21-2006, 10:20 AM
bonneville54,

I would be 'harley45' then. My first bike (of 14 total so far) was a Harley 125cc two stroke that I got from a friend who had stripped out the spark plug hole. I think I paid $35 for it. My uncle, Dick Anderson, worked at the Harley shop in Sacramento before WWII for Armando Magri. After the war my uncle switched to the British sports cars that they were importing. My uncle helped me rebuild this bike completely.

I use to go to the Mile oval dirt races at the old California State Fairgrounds in Sacramento when I was a kid. I worked at a tire shop after work so we would go to all the races with our service truck and offer help for filling tires and packing the track.

In though days, early '60s, there were three motorcycles on the track:

BSA 500cc single OHV 'Gold Star'

Triumph 500cc twin OHV 'Spitfire' (like your but smaller motor)

Harley 750cc flat head V-twin 'K model'

I guess those were some of the "good old days?"

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Triumph%20Bikes/images/Triumph%20Flat%20Track.jpg

Triumph 500cc twin flat tracker

clif wright
02-21-2006, 10:50 AM
I have to chime in on the youth fly fishing thing.

What a perfect excuse to get out of the house and on the river.

Me: "Honey I'm going to spend some quality time (fly fishing) with the boy."

Her: "Oh isn't that sweet. Don't hurry back."

Yes!

Now, does your wife respond that way when you fish with your buddies?

I started fly fishing when my wife was pregnant with our son. I saw my fading chances at starting new hobbies any time soon and grabbed it by the horns.

My son is a year and a half now and already picks up my rod and casts it. No, really! Not like Lefty or anything , but he knows the motion and casts the line. (As long as I can keep him from driving the rod tip into the dirt...)

He has a Wulff practice rod that he loves and I'll often throw him in the baby backpack and we're good to go. Nothing too adventurou,s but he gets to watch me fish and soaks it up like a sponge.

Now, hopefully, this all will payoff with endless excuses to hit the river and more importantly provide us a sport that we can share as he grows up and I get all old and decrepit. Not to mention, keeping him out of trouble... er, well, keeping him out of trouble most of the time.

And then, there's also the benefit when he grows up to guide in Montana... Ok I'm getting ahead of myself, but, I can always dream.

Take that kid fishing! :D

Clif

bonneville54
02-21-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Triumph%20Bikes/images/Triumph%20Flat%20Track.jpg

Triumph 500cc twin flat tracker

Beautiful bike!....Next time I'm down I'll introduce myself and we can talk fishing and moto's. Perfect!

Rob
02-23-2006, 08:40 PM
For the first few years that we fly fished my boys and I did not have waders. We wet waded in the summer and fished from the banks in the winter. My boys used my old Fenwick rods (1973)until I new they we interested. I have never made a lot of money so I have never had a new car ,so a big car payment was not a issue .Having used cars and a modest home has allowed our family money to do things together. Which has always been our first priority.And also I can thank Bill and His staff for helping my boys get into F.Fishing. Most of the young men I see that never do out door sports have fathers that also do not. I do feel that in this high tech society kids spend way to much time sitting at a computer or x-box . I have seen some kids spend 4-6 hrs a day after school and all day on saturday and thats all they do. .When I was a kid we spent all our time out side. Every time my boys and I have had the chance to take some young man with us fly fishing , they loved it. I am very lucky that I get the chance to work with a lot of you men through Boy Scouts and Cub scouts in our church. Here in Utah I am Again involved in Cub Scouts and have 9 young men that I meet with every week. So I do get the chance to help kids more that some. I enjoy seeing the look on a kids face when he has a fish on, it the Best.
Take Care -Rob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/California%20Flyfishing/cody.jpg

Stevie J
03-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Bill,
I love the picture of the flat tracker from the 70's... I worked for the company that manufactured that Tank/Seat/Fender set...Cycle Craft out of Santa Cruz. That looks to be a Champion Frame...We also made a Set for the Trackmaster frame which was popular with the Triumph Boys. Great Memories. I never made it to the Old Fair Grounds but did see a few Mile's at Cal Expo. Best memory of growing up was Saturday nights at Cal-Expo for the Speedway motorcyles that Al Lauer promoted. And then there was West Capital for supers and sprints.....
Thanks for the memory Jog.
Steve Johnston