PDA

View Full Version : Sportscaster & Fly Fisherman Curt Gowdy dies

NorCalFlyGuy
02-20-2006, 01:46 PM
what a great sportsman......he will be missed

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/more/02/20/gowdy.obit.ap/p1_gowdy.jpg

Sportscasting great Gowdy dies at 86
=============================================

Posted: Monday February 20, 2006 2:04PM; Updated: Monday February 20, 2006 2:58PM

Curt Gowdy was inducted into the broadcast wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1984.
AP

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) -- Curt Gowdy, one of the signature voices of sports for a generation and a longtime broadcaster for the Boston Red Sox, died Monday at 86.

He died in Palm Beach after a long battle with leukemia, Red Sox spokeswoman Pam Ganley said.

Gowdy made his broadcasting debut in 1944 and went on to call the first Super Bowl in 1967 as well as 13 World Series and 16 All-Star games. He also called the famous "Heidi" game in 1968.

In 1951 Gowdy became the main play-by-play voice on the Red Sox broadcast team. He left the Red Sox in 1966 for a 10-year stint as Game of the Week announcer for NBC. He also was the longtime host of the American Sportsman series.

"He's certainly the greatest play-by-play person up to this point that NBC sports has ever had," NBC Universal Sports chairman Dick Ebersol said Monday. "He literally carried the sports division at NBC for so many years on his back. ... He was a remarkable talent and he was an even more remarkable human being."

Gowdy brought a warm feel to the broadcast booth, his commentary always full of good humor and enthusiasm. Baseball commissioner Bud Selig called Gowdy "one of the legendary broadcasters of our game."

"His distinct voice was a comfort to a generation of baseball fans in New England and throughout the country," he said.

In his 1960 essay Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu published in The New Yorker, John Updike said Gowdy sounded like "everybody's brother-in-law."

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, said Gowdy was a "pioneer in our business and set the highest of standards for everyone in sports broadcasting."

"His many contributions to ABC, as host of American Sportsman and other ABC Sports' programs, are indelible," he said.

Red Sox player John Pesky, speaking from Red Sox training camp in Fort Myers, remembered Pesky as "a peach of a guy." Pesky said Gowdy was always in the clubhouse before games and always eager to talk.

"He was really easy to speak to," he said.

The award-winning broadcaster began his career in Cheyenne, Wyo., in 1944 standing on a milk crate, giving a football play-by-play in subzero temperatures. By 1949 he was calling games for the New York Yankees and two years later he began calling games for the Red Sox.

Gowdy has been honored with dozens of awards. He was inducted into the broadcast wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1984, the American Sportscaster's Hall of Fame in 1985. The Curt Gowdy State Park was established in Wyoming in 1971.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Terry Thomas
02-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Curt Gowdy was one of the last of the good old sportsmen. I enjoyed the shows when he hooked up with Ted Williams. Seems as though we have lost many great anglers and tiers in the last year.

mems
02-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Curt Gowdy was a well loved sportsman in Wyoming. My father knew him back in college. He even fished the bluegrass. Too bad, he was a great fly-fisherman and person. Mems.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-20-2006, 11:55 PM
I am sure that Curt Gowdy had a wonderful, full life.

I loved watching the American Sportsman TV show that he hosted in the '60s and '70s. He had lots of actors and sports heroes on that show. I think Phil Silvers and Bing Crosby really knew how to live. It seemed like they all had so much fun making those shows.

john
02-21-2006, 07:22 AM
I was listening to a Mpls. radio talk show yesterday on the way home from work. Fishing, much less flyfishing, is not a topic for the show. Anyway, they're discussing Curt Gowdy, all in the cotext of broadcasting and sporting events. Then this guy(clearly a nonfisher) calls in and begins to describe his most vivid memory of Gowdy, excitedly talking about Gowdy's monologue description of "some guy" Gowdy knew that could tie a fly with just his hands while standing in the middle of a stream...We should all be so lucky to leave that kind of an impression with someone.